Will It Really Take That Long??

Old February 18th 04, 07:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kimball K Kinnison

Default Will It Really Take That Long??

I have signed up with PlusNet this morning and got a email this afternoon
saying my line had passed its initial test. However it went on to say that
it "normally takes 7 to 10 working days" before my line would be activated.
Does it really take this long!!

Old February 18th 04, 07:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hiram Hackenbacker

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 19:42:40 -0000, "Kimball K Kinnison"
wrote:

I have signed up with PlusNet this morning and got a email this afternoon
saying my line had passed its initial test. However it went on to say that
it "normally takes 7 to 10 working days" before my line would be activated.
Does it really take this long!!

It can do. Relax.

--
Hiram Hackenbacker
Old February 19th 04, 01:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Hewitt-Dutton

For a company that promotes the product so actively, it seems odd that they
take a long time to deliver. It should be more like Sky, you get it within a
few days, tops. (obviously assuming your exchange is enabled)

Pete.

"Leslie Costar" wrote in message
. uk...
In article ,
(Kimball K Kinnison) wrote:

I have signed up with PlusNet this morning and got a email this
afternoon
saying my line had passed its initial test. However it went on to say
that
it "normally takes 7 to 10 working days" before my line would be
activated.
Does it really take this long!!

Yup. It can take longer in some cases.

I've known a broadband installation take two months because BT kept
faffing about with it.

Leslie

Old February 19th 04, 10:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike E

It's taken man millions of years to get to this stage. I'm sure another 7 to
10 days shouldn't be such a hardship. Don't forget, Plusnet have to rely on
BT for activation and they still have to catch up with the rest of us yet.

Regards

Mike

Old February 19th 04, 05:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil McCavity

Mike E wrote:
"Plusnet have to rely on BT for activation and they still have to catch up
with the rest of"

From several experiences with plusnet this is not true. I have physically
jumpered a few plusnet adsl lines in the exchange many days before the
'required by' date to find the delay being plusnet. My own included.
However they are no better or worse than any other ISP in that respect.

Typically an order will have a required by date and as a rule of thumb BT
engineers will have completed their side of the work well ahead of this.
However, it is still a few days as priority has to be given to business and
residential faults over those that want to speed up their downloading.

There are the extremes where it can take several weeks because of local loop
issues. The customer never gets to see much more than the delay. The pile
of BT vans back and forth, the contractors digging in new cables, the guys
hanging off poles in the wind and rain and the great big bill for doing it.
They just tut and sigh 'Bloody BT'.

Old February 19th 04, 05:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Phil McCavity wrote:
Mike E wrote:
"Plusnet have to rely on BT for activation and they still have to
catch up with the rest of"

From several experiences with plusnet this is not true. I have
physically jumpered a few plusnet adsl lines in the exchange many
days before the 'required by' date to find the delay being plusnet.
My own included. However they are no better or worse than any other
ISP in that respect.

Typically an order will have a required by date and as a rule of
thumb BT engineers will have completed their side of the work well
ahead of this. However, it is still a few days as priority has to
be given to business and residential faults over those that want to
speed up their downloading.

There are the extremes where it can take several weeks because of
local loop issues. The customer never gets to see much more than
the delay. The pile of BT vans back and forth, the contractors
digging in new cables, the guys hanging off poles in the wind and
rain and the great big bill for doing it. They just tut and sigh
'Bloody BT'.

It took the ISP I pre-ordered with over 3 years to get back to me to tell me
I could have DSL. Yes that's 3 years after the exchange was enabled & 3
years after I had personally checked my line to find that I couldn't have it
(one of the few times it's paid me to be in house, checked the line whilst
checking the exchange, leave it at that).

They got rather annoyed when I told them that they were that far behind &
that my line failed the line test, so much so they put the phone down whilst
I was still talking. Never mind...

Old February 20th 04, 12:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Al

"Kimball K Kinnison" wrote in message
I have signed up with PlusNet this morning and got a email this afternoon
saying my line had passed its initial test. However it went on to say that
it "normally takes 7 to 10 working days" before my line would be

activated.
Does it really take this long!!

Relax *if* you can!!!

I signed up on 14 February and got the same standard message.

I now have:
Activation Date
The provisional date set for BT to activate ADSL on your line is:
22nd Feb 2004 - After 12pm

Funny date and time - Sunday afternoon??

But of course it goes on to say:
Please note that this date may change, depending on the circumstances at
your local exchange.

Only hope it all goes well!!! I won't really relax until it is activated.
;-)

Al

Old February 20th 04, 12:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Notty Pine

"Al" wrote in message
news[email protected]

[...]

If signing up for ADSL service, when do the ISP's take the initial
ADSL registration payment, is it on signing up, or later when the
service has been confirmed?