DSL Modem to go with Linksys BEFSR41?

Old February 18th 04, 09:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Evan Joanette

Default DSL Modem to go with Linksys BEFSR41?

Hi

We're going ADSL at work soon with one of the BT broadband resellers.
They've told us that we're free to set up the hardware we want. I'm
familiar with Linksys's BEFSR41 as that was my router back in the college
dorm in Canada where the buddies and I had all our machines networked.

I'm reading that British DSL gizmos don't follow the same rules as in North
America. IS there something about some DSL modems not allowing a pass-thru
to a router?

I am 99% certain we'll be getting that Linksys router, so I'd like your
advice on what DSL modem out there will provide me with the best
functionality when used in conjunction. D-Link's 300+ (or something) seems
a likely candidate. Anyone have any suggestions? We're expecting to pay
50-100.

Thanks in advance.

Old February 18th 04, 10:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

That is the way I'm set up. It works well.

Dave

Old February 18th 04, 11:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Piers James

The D-Link 300G+ is a good choice of modem. I use it with a D-Link DI-624+
wireles router.

Search this group and you will find some DHCP issues, but they are partly
related to the ISP as the modem. Tweaking the Encapsulation setting seems to
have helped some people, me included.

Old February 19th 04, 12:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Fish

Evan Joanette wrote:

Hi

We're going ADSL at work soon with one of the BT broadband resellers.
They've told us that we're free to set up the hardware we want. I'm
familiar with Linksys's BEFSR41 as that was my router back in the college
dorm in Canada where the buddies and I had all our machines networked.

[snip]

I've only see a couple around, the D-Link 300g+ and the adslnation
X-Modem CE, both well under a ton. Both require some care setting up.
There can be trouble with some routers (or Linux distro firewall
routers) if the modem's dhcp server starts renewing leases too quickly
and as another posts says there can be other issues. The D-Link's build
quality is better imho and their support in the UK is very good ime, but
the modem appears to have a bug in the firmware that can trigger a dhcp
renew every six seconds in some circumstances (instead of 30 seconds).
Who knows why. Plenty of folks may never have this problem.

OTOH the X-Modem has slighty more tweakable settings and gives out more
information about the state of the connection. Check first whether there
are known problems with your choice of router. The www.adslnation.co.uk
site has quite a lot of info.

I've run the D-Link as a pass-through OK and prefer it this way, but the
issue in the UK is that if you are passing through to PPOE then PPOE is
only just recently being introduced and it can crap out on you at the
drop of a hat.

FIsh
Old February 19th 04, 07:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Evan Joanette

Thanks Fish,

PPPoE is a North American standard. I've realized that UK DSL modems here
have a lot more "guts" (functions), which may be why there isn't total
modem-router compatibility. I had an Alcatel and then GVC modem in Canada,
and both had no capability except for "always on". The router did most of
the work.

That X-Modem looks sweet. I'll advise my IT manager that this looks a
solution for us. But I still welcome any other comments about modems that
work well with Linksys's BEFSR41.

Evan

"Fish" wrote in message

I've only see a couple around, the D-Link 300g+ and the adslnation
X-Modem CE, both well under a ton.

snip

Old February 19th 04, 07:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Evan Joanette

Then again, there's also a large number of USB modems here. I suppose I
should check the X-Modem for it's connectivity first.

Evan

Old February 19th 04, 11:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob { Goddard }

Evan Joanette wrote:

Thanks Fish,

PPPoE is a North American standard. I've realized that UK DSL modems here

********. When will people stop spewing out this crap.
PPPoE is set by RFC2516 and BT have enabled it on the
exchanges since last summer.

--
http://www.mailtrap.org.uk/
Old February 19th 04, 02:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Fish

Bob { Goddard } wrote:
[snip]

Contain yourself. PPOE doesn't always work properly where I am even
though PPOA always does. That might not be down to BT but the end result
for the user is exactly the same, i.e. a borked connection.

Fish
Old February 19th 04, 03:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Benedict Addis

"Bob { Goddard }" wrote in
message ...
Evan Joanette wrote:

Thanks Fish,

PPPoE is a North American standard. I've realized that UK DSL modems

here

********. When will people stop spewing out this crap.
PPPoE is set by RFC2516 and BT have enabled it on the
exchanges since last summer.

Yes, but it also has to be supported by the ISP on their backhaul. In our
experience (we've sold several hundred modems), PPPoE works about 85-90% of
the time. There also seems to have been a fairly gradual rollout, so it may
get better with time.

Benedict.

--
Add the 'co' to reply
www.itchest.co.uk

Old February 19th 04, 04:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob { Goddard }

Benedict Addis wrote:

"Bob { Goddard }" wrote in
message ...
Evan Joanette wrote:

Thanks Fish,

PPPoE is a North American standard. I've realized that UK DSL modems

here

********. When will people stop spewing out this crap.
PPPoE is set by RFC2516 and BT have enabled it on the
exchanges since last summer.

Yes, but it also has to be supported by the ISP on their backhaul. In our
experience (we've sold several hundred modems), PPPoE works about 85-90%
of the time. There also seems to have been a fairly gradual rollout, so it
may get better with time.

AFAICS it has nothing to do with the ISP. I've never seen
an ISP announce that they have made changes and now support it.

The only problem I have seen with it is that you have to
increase the MTU size.

http://www.mailtrap.org.uk/