Line loss dB figure

Old February 19th 04, 01:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R W

Default Line loss dB figure

What is your line loss figure? What is regarded as Good, average or
poor?

Old February 19th 04, 03:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Hurrell

"R W" wrote in message
What is your line loss figure? What is regarded as Good, average or
poor?

Mine is 12.5... generally regarded as pretty good. I can spit on the
exchange.

Generally the lower the line attentuation the better and the higher the
signal to noise ratio (SNR) the better, hence mine is 45.5.

Old February 19th 04, 05:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth not NLL or anybody else.

"James Hurrell" wrote in message

"R W" wrote in message
What is your line loss figure? What is regarded as Good, average or
poor?

Mine is 12.5... generally regarded as pretty good. I can spit on the
exchange.

Generally the lower the line attentuation the better and the higher the
signal to noise ratio (SNR) the better, hence mine is 45.5.

I did a test on my SAR715+ on a 1mb nidram line.
is this any good?? I am not sure if i did the test correctly or not.
Downstream :
Noise Margin : 36.5 dB
Attenuation : 3.5 dB
Output Power : 20
Upstream :
Noise Margin : 11.5 dB
Attenuation : 11.0 dB
Output Power : 9

Thanks
Gaz

Old February 19th 04, 10:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JD

"R W" wrote in message
What is your line loss figure? What is regarded as Good, average or
poor?

Mines -65dB, below that required for ADSL but it works 100%. My last house
was -68dB but that used to lose sync intermittently in the winter evenings.

Old February 19th 04, 11:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 21:52:27 -0000, "JD"
wrote:

"R W" wrote in message
What is your line loss figure? What is regarded as Good, average or
poor?

Mines -65dB, below that required for ADSL but it works 100%. My last house
was -68dB but that used to lose sync intermittently in the winter evenings.

So how on earth did you get them to install it?
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Who is Art, and why does life imitate him?

To reply by email, my address is aDOTjDOTheneyATbtinternetDOTcom
Old February 20th 04, 09:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JD

wrote:

"R W" wrote in message
What is your line loss figure? What is regarded as Good, average or
poor?

Mines -65dB, below that required for ADSL but it works 100%. My last

house
was -68dB but that used to lose sync intermittently in the winter

evenings.

So how on earth did you get them to install it?
--

I dont know Alex. At my last house I applied the week that the exchange was
enabled. It was about 2 years ago and before the linechecker was that

This number showed it was available. My router says I am 6.5k away, -65dB
s/n of 6.5dB - so its an improvement of 100% on the loss!

I just don't know - but it works 100% here.

Old February 20th 04, 10:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

wrote:

"R W" wrote in message
[...]

You must be getting my share of the ADSL luck. I've no idea what my
attenuation is and I'm struggling to convince plusnet to put in a manual
order. I'm sure it'll all fall apart soon enough!! ;-)

Old February 20th 04, 10:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

In article , Jd wrote:
My router said I was 7k
away, -68dB with a s/n of 4dB. I have no reason to boubt the results as we
were so far away and never expected to get it. Only 5 or so people got it on
the estate out of 100+

This number showed it was available. My router says I am 6.5k away, -65dB
s/n of 6.5dB - so its an improvement of 100% on the loss!

I just don't know - but it works 100% here.

Please let us know what kind of router works with that s/n ratio.

Rod.

Old February 20th 04, 11:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JD

"Roderick Stewart" wrote in message
om...
In article , Jd wrote:
My router said I was 7k
away, -68dB with a s/n of 4dB. I have no reason to boubt the results as

we
were so far away and never expected to get it. Only 5 or so people got

it on
the estate out of 100+

This number showed it was available. My router says I am 6.5k

away, -65dB
s/n of 6.5dB - so its an improvement of 100% on the loss!

I just don't know - but it works 100% here.

Please let us know what kind of router works with that s/n ratio.

Rod.

Its an old D-Link DSL504. I originally signed up with Pipex for the exchange
an old 33k6 analogue for Fuji 310 USB free deal.

This was around August time in the old house. As the winter drew in I was
getting sync during the day then it would lose sync from twilight until dawn
(ish, and allowing for a few little syncs during the night). At this time I
thought I was the only person with BB on the estate, however I heard of
someone 1/2 mile from me who also had it. I went to see them to see if they
were having the same probs. In the meantime I had tried all the known Fuji
modem tricks and I had gone to Pipex who couldn't help, and BT had said that
I was too far away. I tried to reason that if it worked during the day then
there was no distance problems, but they recommended a cessation of service.
Fortunately they didn't carry out the threat - dont know why. Anyway back to
this other chap - he was using the DSL504 so he kindly lent it to me. t was
evening time abot 6 or 7 and I was unable to get sync with the Fuji, popped
the 504 on and bingo - straight in. I remember looking at his line condition
page and he was getting what I am now at the new house.

I thought I couldn't risk any other hardware and he had bought his for 150+
some time ago. So looked around for the cheapest deal, think I picked it up
for about 90 nicker from Simply, and it was brilliant all the way through
until winter last year. Around end of november/early december I started to
lose sync again at various periods. Bearing in mind I was 7k away from the
exchange, with -68dB and sig/noise fluctuating between 4 and 3.5dB I think
the router was doing its best. I never chased up the problem with Pipex/BT
as I was to move house just before Xmas.

I got BB straight away in the new house (30th jan). The estate where I live
has varying degrees of success, my row of houses have no problem, a guy 4
roads away gets intermittent sync, but I dont know what equipment he is
using.

Here's my page details: (note sure if it will retain its formatting but here
goes.)

Downstream Upstream
Line Status ADSL Link Speed 576 kbps 288 kbps
SNR 6.0 dB -
ATEN 65 dB 31 dB
Line Error ADSL layer FEC 67 0
CRC 130 6447
ATM layer HEC 101 2907
Frame Counter 4345365 4647432

Loop Distance: About 13 K ft.

As you can see there are a few errors, mainly on the uplink but
percentagewise its good.

I did have some intermittent sync losses here but I traced that to a bad
connection on the wire side of the BT master socket. Too the socket off,
trimmed the old wires back and remade them. Its now 100% again even down
to -3 degrees!

Hope this helps.

Old February 20th 04, 02:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

In article , Jd wrote:
This was around August time in the old house. As the winter drew in I was
getting sync during the day then it would lose sync from twilight until dawn
(ish, and allowing for a few little syncs during the night).

Interesting. I wonder if the telephone wires are picking up skywave radio
signals at night? Apparently ADSL goes up to around 1MHz, which is well into
the medium wave band, and you only have to tune a MW radio across the band at
various times of day to realise that reception changes dramatically after
dark. If this is the case, then the extra signals on the line would be
perceived by the ADSL modem as noise, which in a borderline case could cause
it to lose sync.

If you could persuade BT to replace the entire cable run with twin screened
cable it might help, but I can't imagine them being keen to do this.

Rod.