BT Win NHS Broadband contract

Old February 19th 04, 01:36 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

Default BT Win NHS Broadband contract

BT have been awarded a 7 year 530 million contract to provide and manage a
broadband network that will link all NHS organisations in England.

More details at:

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/communicatio...9146670,00.htm

This comes on top of two other 10 year contracts for the NHS that were
announced in December - estimated value at 1.6 billion, which I posted
about at the time.

Regards
Sunil

Old February 19th 04, 07:06 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Rob

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message ...
BT have been awarded a 7 year 530 million contract to provide and manage a
broadband network that will link all NHS organisations in England.

More details at:

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/communicatio...9146670,00.htm

This comes on top of two other 10 year contracts for the NHS that were
announced in December - estimated value at 1.6 billion, which I posted
about at the time.

Regards
Sunil

When you say 'all NHS organisations in England', Sunil, do you mean
*JUST* England, or are the providing it to the NHS Trusts in Wales,
Scotland and NI, as well?

TIA!

Rob

Old February 19th 04, 07:13 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Nelson

I think you will find the wording that suggests it is just providing
Broadband to the NHS is a bit misleading and an understatement compared to
what the contract actually covers

cheers

Ian

Old February 19th 04, 07:18 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Rob" wrote in message
om...
"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

BT have been awarded a 7 year 530 million contract to provide and

manage a
broadband network that will link all NHS organisations in England.

More details at:

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/communicatio...9146670,00.htm

This comes on top of two other 10 year contracts for the NHS that were
announced in December - estimated value at 1.6 billion, which I posted
about at the time.

When you say 'all NHS organisations in England', Sunil, do you mean
*JUST* England, or are the providing it to the NHS Trusts in Wales,
Scotland and NI, as well?

This contract appears just to cover the 18,000 NHS sites in England.

I imagine any contracts for the NHS for Scotland, Wales and NI would be
awarded seperately - especially after devolution

The "official" Dept of Health press release is at
http://makeashorterlink.com/?T53563577 which goes on to give stats like:

- a typical GP practice will increase from 256Kilobits per second (Kbps)
under the current contract to between 512Kbps and 1Megabit per second (Mbps)
- a typical acute hospital will increase from 2Mbps to 100Mbps
- a typical community hospital and Primary Care Trust will increase from
2Mbps to 10Mbps

Regards
Sunil

Old February 19th 04, 07:19 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Nelson

This gives more info

http://www.e-health-insider.com/news/item.cfm?ID=662

And the official site :

http://www.dh.gov.uk/PolicyAndGuidan...6&chk=kq%2BGaG

Old February 19th 04, 07:20 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Ian Nelson" wrote in message
Do you work for NHS ?

lol - just last week someone was asking if I worked for BT!

However, no, I don't work for the NHS

Regards
Sunil

Old February 19th 04, 07:30 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Ian Nelson" wrote in message
I think you will find the wording that suggests it is just providing
Broadband to the NHS is a bit misleading and an understatement compared

what the contract actually covers

This particular contract appears to just cover the provision/management of
"a broadband network to link all NHS organisations in England" - also to be
known as the "New National Network", or "N3" - at least accoring to the
official NHS press release at http://makeashorterlink.com/?T53563577

It is, of course, envisaged that the NHS will run all kinds of services over
these broadband links and that is partly what the contracts BT won in
December are for (i.e. BT then won contracts to "design, deliver and manage"
local patient record applications and systems for London as well as a
national patient record database and transactional messaging service) -
however, those are different contracts.

Regards
Sunil