External antenna

Old February 19th 04, 04:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
GC

Default External antenna

I am looking into the possibility of extending my 600 kbps CATV Broadband to
my son's home, 60 yards away using a wireless LAN (I currently use CAT 5
cable throughout my house).

The house is brick built, semi-detached and there are 21 double brick walls
between my study and his, so I haven't even considered beaming directly with
a pair of directional antennae (this is Victorian Britain, when they used to
build solid!)

I suspect the only realistic option is to use a pair of external antenna,
both on walls facing South West - I'll come back to that apparently
superfluous bit of information later.

As both antenna will be able to "see" each other, gain is not an issue at 60
yards, neither is, I suspect, the relative range differences between 811b
and 811h. 11 mbps is QUITE adequate for a 600kbps internet connection.

I can find no reference to any cheap external antenna here in the UK, all I
can find are references to expensive, high gain directional kit, which is
far too good for the applicaction.

Can anyone point me to a UK or USA source of supply of monopoles suitable
for
external mounting - now for the apparently superfluous information, an
antenna mounted SW at 20 feet above the ground round here is open to the
lousiest
Atlantic weather so its got to be
WEATHER proof or capable of being made so with silcon gunge.

TIA....Gethryn

Old February 19th 04, 05:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SOGGY

Try alt.internet.wireless as the yanks on are good on that newsgroup. Sorry
but I personally cant help.

--

With regards
Paul M. Sargent

Messenger:
Website:
www.xsoggyx.co.uk
Site Stats: http://www.nedstatbasic.net/s?tab=1&link=1&id=2739223

Looking for that special gift?
http://www.xsoggyx.co.uk/PGI.htm

****ALL E-MAILS ARE VIRUS CHECKED WITH NORTON 2003****

E-Bay listings
http://cgi6.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....sort=3&rows=25
news:[email protected]

Old February 19th 04, 06:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Naismith

http://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-outdoorantenna.htm

--
John Naismith
Old February 19th 04, 06:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
jsp21c

Check out the Wireless/Antennas products at D-Link

http://www.dlink.co.uk/
Old February 19th 04, 07:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
skylou

Try
http://adsltech.com/origo/LRW/index.htm

"GC" дʼ news:[email protected]

Old February 20th 04, 11:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Henderson

In article [email protected], GC wrote:
I am looking into the possibility of extending my 600 kbps CATV Broadband to
my son's home, 60 yards away using a wireless LAN (I currently use CAT 5
cable throughout my house).

Don't bother with external antennae - Get proper outdoor units which can
run Ethernet directly into it and supply power over the Ethernet cable.

Look at

http://www.smartbridges.com/new/products/appt.php

A pair of these will set you back somewhere in the region of 300 though
plus mounting brackets, etc. You'll be able to push up to 5Mbps through
these (half duplex remember!) which is more than enough to share the
broadband connection.

And - heres a tip, these can be rotated through 90 degrees to give you
horizontal polarization which will eliminate just about every other
source of 2.4GHz noise in the area..

Gordon
Old February 20th 04, 06:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
GC

"Gordon Henderson" wrote in message
[...]

Errrr, thanks, but 300 plus brackets....just to cover 50 yards line of
sight, somewhat OTT, I would have thought.

It would take nearly 5 years to recover the cost alone (to say nothing of my
effort) over his current expenditure on dial-up or nearly 20 months of "0ff
the shelf lower end broadband" directly delivered to the house.

Basically all I am trying to do is to couple two nearby houses together,
(very) cheaply, not go into competition with the existing suppliers of
internet access here in Winchester i.e CATV, ADSL, and Scottish Power over
the mains!

What would be the prospect of my being able to stuff it into the mains
supply to feed a house 50 yards away? Now that might upset Scottish
Power....

Gethryn

Old February 20th 04, 07:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Les Harvey

news:[email protected]

wrote:
[...]

I think you mentioned that these were terrace houses.

What about cable across the loft space? A bottle of wine for the
intermediaries :-)

Bazza