Ethernet modem

Old February 19th 04, 08:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rupert

Default Ethernet modem

Hi,

What exactly is an ethernet modem? I pretty ok with this sort of thing - I
know what a modem is/does and the same of a router - I have used both
myself.

A friend of mine has a Motorola (I think) 'Surf Board' on NTL's Cable modem
service. Is has an ethernet interface to a single computer, but Windows
reports it as a PPP interface.

How does the connection authentication work in this situation on NTL - is it
configured at the PC end, or at the Surf Board end??

What we're ultimately trying to achieve is to replace the single computer
with a NAT box, but still connected to the Surf Board. Is that going to
work?

TIA

Rupert

Old February 20th 04, 12:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Rupert wrote:
Hi,

What exactly is an ethernet modem? I pretty ok with this sort of
thing - I know what a modem is/does and the same of a router - I
have used both myself.

A friend of mine has a Motorola (I think) 'Surf Board' on NTL's
Cable modem service. Is has an ethernet interface to a single
computer, but Windows reports it as a PPP interface.

How does the connection authentication work in this situation on
NTL - is it configured at the PC end, or at the Surf Board end??

What we're ultimately trying to achieve is to replace the single
computer with a NAT box, but still connected to the Surf Board. Is
that going to work?

TIA

Rupert

Simple answer, yes.........

Old February 26th 04, 07:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Benedict Addis

Authentication is performed (among other things) on the unique MAC address
of the network card you've currently got in the PC connected to the
Surfboard cable modem.

If you're going to use a router or another PC as this NAT box, then the
cable modem will 'see' a different MAC address, and will not allow network
access.

However, this is not a major problem, as you can either:

1) Clone the original MAC address - most routers have an option to do this.
2) (NTL only) Power cycle the cable modem once you've swapped the machines.
3) (blueyonder only) Register the new MAC address with the ISP.

More info he
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d...tips/swap.html

I strongly recommend the use of a router, to avoid relying (and putting
load) on a given PC. Some good broadband routers for cable can be found
he
www.itchest.co.uk/bbrouters.aspx

Cheers, Benedict.

--