what does the average telephone exchange building look like ?

Old February 19th 04, 09:45 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Fox

Default what does the average telephone exchange building look like ?

Hi

Most BT telephone exchanges tend to have either a small microwave dish or
other antenna type aerials on the roof of the building, when the exchange is
converted to broadband there is no visible indication from the outside of
the building that this has taken place.

Normally in small rural areas the telephone exchange can be quite a non
descript building I have seen some literally in a wooden shed, most small
rural exchanges are single concentrator sites which serve just over 2000
subscribers and then feed back to a larger host. As the 'concentrator' is
about the size of a decent wooden wardrobe then they can be fitted almost
anywhere, newer kit which is being deployed is smaller and therefore could
go anywhere.

If you state where you are, may be able to identify the street the exchange
building is in

"banzai" wrote in message
Afternnon punters. I've recently delevoped an unhealthy interest in
broadband technology and the village where I live is soon to have it's
exchange upgraded. I was wondering what the exchange builiding/housing

would
look like as the village is very small and (of all the buildings i'm aware
of) none would seem (to me at least) to be the said exchange.

TIA