laptop access anywhere in the house

Old February 20th 04, 08:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alcistra

Default laptop access anywhere in the house

Hello to all

I am about to have broadband and was wondering what to do,
I only have a Acer 2.4Ghz laptop and like to use this all around the house,
lets me be in the same room as the wife when she's wathing the old DIY
programs!!
My question is this is it possible to have a wireless system (internet cloud
I think is the term saw it on TV) so I can surf the net from any where in
the house without the need for wires? and what would I need?

Many thanks to all who respond

Bryan

Old February 20th 04, 09:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

alcistra wrote:

Hello to all

I am about to have broadband and was wondering what to do,
I only have a Acer 2.4Ghz laptop and like to use this all around the
house, lets me be in the same room as the wife when she's wathing the
old DIY programs!!
My question is this is it possible to have a wireless system
(internet cloud I think is the term saw it on TV) so I can surf the
net from any where in the house without the need for wires? and what
would I need?

Many thanks to all who respond

Bryan

Get yourself an all-singing-all-dancing ADSL wireless
router/modem/firewall - which will enable you to share the ADSL connection
between a number of PCs in a network - using a mixture of wired and wireless
technology if you so wish. The laptop will need a compatible wireless
network card - probably one which plugs into a spare PCMCIA slot.

If you *do* run a wireless network, make sure you follow all the security
recommendations - encryption etc. - to stop anyone from hacking into your
network.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old February 20th 04, 09:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiny Tim

Tiscali Tim wrote:
alcistra wrote:

[...]

Further to this, the type of wireless router you need will depend on whether
you have cable broadband or ADSL. Have a look here to see easily which is
which, as often it is difficult to separate the two types as product
descriptions are rather poor.

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/defa...pID=38&Alt=Yes

Their prices aren't bad, but may not be the best, but the information is
clearly presented to allow you to distinguish ADSL routers from cable
routers. Also think about speed. If you're only surfing the net then 802.11b
(11Mbps) will be plenty, as it is way faster than your net connection. If
you want to transfer lots of data within your home network and possibly
stream video between PCs/laptops then you may want to consider getting an
802.11g (54Mbps) network at some extra cost.

I'm doing exactly what you want to do with two laptops (a PII 300 and a PIII
900) using 3Com PCMCIA cards and a Netgear DG834G wireless ADSL router.
Signal is fine from my front room to the bottom of my garden, about 80 feet
away. I've also got my Xbox hardwired to the router for Xbox Live. I bought
my kit from www.ebuyer.com as it was the cheapest at the time. Try using
www.pchound.co.uk and www.dealtime.co.uk to hunt best prices when you know
what you want. Alternatively, ebuyer do their own branded stuff pretty
cheaply.

--
Email address is munged. Please reply to newsgroup.