What does a manual order involve?

Old February 20th 04, 09:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

Default What does a manual order involve?

Hello,

Does a manual order mean a BT engineer goes down to the exchange, enables
the line and then tests for attenuation and S/N or is it something Plus Net
could do on there own?

I asked Plus Net to try and manual order, they initially agreed, then
rejected the line for a second time 24 hours later. Doesn't sound quite
right to me.

Thanks for any info.

Dave.

Old February 20th 04, 10:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Josey

"Dave" wrote in message
Hello,

Does a manual order mean a BT engineer goes down to the exchange, enables
the line and then tests for attenuation and S/N or is it something Plus

Net
could do on there own?

I asked Plus Net to try and manual order, they initially agreed, then
rejected the line for a second time 24 hours later. Doesn't sound quite
right to me.

In my experience a "manual order" with plusnet takes at least 3 days.
Depends a lot on the reason for rejection though. A manual order just means
the order is passed to BT regardless of the status of your line on the
online checker.

Jc.

Old February 20th 04, 12:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Josey wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
Hello,

Does a manual order mean a BT engineer goes down to the exchange,
enables the line and then tests for attenuation and S/N or is it
something Plus Net could do on there own?

I asked Plus Net to try and manual order, they initially agreed,
then rejected the line for a second time 24 hours later. Doesn't
sound quite right to me.

In my experience a "manual order" with plusnet takes at least 3
days. Depends a lot on the reason for rejection though. A manual
order just means the order is passed to BT regardless of the status
of your line on the online checker.

Also means that a P(recision)T(est)O(fficer) should go out & physically test
the line

Old February 20th 04, 12:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"Josey" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message
Hello,

Does a manual order mean a BT engineer goes down to the exchange,

enables
the line and then tests for attenuation and S/N or is it something Plus

Net
could do on there own?

I asked Plus Net to try and manual order, they initially agreed, then
rejected the line for a second time 24 hours later. Doesn't sound quite
right to me.

In my experience a "manual order" with plusnet takes at least 3 days.
Depends a lot on the reason for rejection though. A manual order just

means
the order is passed to BT regardless of the status of your line on the
online checker.

Thanks for that and kind of what I expected. Plusnet have refused to pass
on the order as they see that the line fails at there end. So even though
they agreed to put in a manual order they haven't which is nice. Guess I'll
try Vispa.

Jc.

Old February 20th 04, 12:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"Kráftéé" wrote in message
Josey wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
Hello,

Does a manual order mean a BT engineer goes down to the exchange,
enables the line and then tests for attenuation and S/N or is it
something Plus Net could do on there own?

I asked Plus Net to try and manual order, they initially agreed,
then rejected the line for a second time 24 hours later. Doesn't
sound quite right to me.

In my experience a "manual order" with plusnet takes at least 3
days. Depends a lot on the reason for rejection though. A manual
order just means the order is passed to BT regardless of the status
of your line on the online checker.

Also means that a P(recision)T(est)O(fficer) should go out & physically

test
the line

Which is what I was hoping for. A neighbour has ADSL, all the house round
by me were build in 1998 and all cabled by BT at the same time. If he can
get it I would have thought I would as well.

Old February 20th 04, 12:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Dave wrote:
"Kráftéé" wrote in message
Josey wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

BUT...... they may be what is now called a false green, in other words even
though it may work they may be out of spec as well. I've got a conplete
estate near me where every single DSL line has supposedly passed it's line
test & yet fails in usage, the line losses are very marginal but it's the
SNR which is the killer.

Old February 20th 04, 01:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 12:09:52 -0000, Dave wrote:

"Josey" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

Hi,

If you want to send me your username I'll have a look into this for you.
Whilst we can submit manual orders, in reality the accuracy of the initial
line check is very good. If it says you can't get ADSL then it is very
likely that you can't.
Like I said, I don't see any reason why we can't submit the order
manually, unless there's a specific reason noted on the account.

--
Regards,

Old February 20th 04, 04:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Allison

Dave,

I'm in the same position as you. You can read my story he
http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthre...mber=11203 95

I would be interested to hear how you get on with plusnet, they have refused
to investigate the issue for me too, giving me conflicting information.
Firstly they say my line loss is too high (which isn't true because it comes
out at 56db), and then they say the line length is too long, which I also
find difficult to believe because I live 2km from the exchange.

--
Mark Allison
SQL Server MVP

Old February 20th 04, 06:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Allison

A nice man at plusnet just called me to say that he would personally manage
my order for me and do a manual submission to BT. That's a shame because
I've just ordered through Eclipse. Oh well...

Old February 20th 04, 07:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scott

I am in exactly the same boat
Line test says OK on the BT site
Loads of neighbours have adsl yet when I order it gets refused.
Plus net tried first but not sure if a manual order was done or not

I do now have 2 BT modem packs which no one has asked to be returned!!!
news