edNET implement Quality of Service on Network

Old February 20th 04, 03:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bev

Default edNET implement Quality of Service on Network

edNET implement Quality of Service on Network
edNET, the Scottish business-class ISP, has announced a significant
technological development with the implementation of voice traffic
prioritisation through its network.

Unlike other networks that segregate traffic, the whole of the edNET
network is configured to recognise the different types of data packets
and subsequently give high priority to voice traffic. Creating a
network that manages all types of traffic is far more efficient than
having multiple networks for different applications. Combining all
services into one and managing the traffic types makes a more
efficient and economic network, be it more complex in its management.

Early in 2003, edNET became a Convergent Service Provider (CSP) and is
now a worldwide provider of voice services over broadband Internet
connections, whether ADSL, SDSL, Wireless, Satellite, leased lines,
and Ethernet connections. Although edNET is reputed for its reliable
and innovative Internet services, voice is a business-critical
requirement that demands Quality of Service (QoS). This is yet another
innovation that is making the edNET network one better than most
providers.

Managing QoS means that voice packets are guaranteed to traverse the
edNET Internet network with the least delay ensuring that speech
jitter, echo and crackle are eliminated - the sort of issues that
exist with mobile phones.

Dr Aydin Kurt-Elli, CEO of edNET, explained: "For the last 8 years, we
have built our reputation on the reliability of our Internet and
Network services. We now apply the same principle on our voice
services. However, because a phone call cannot wait, we have
implemented additional measures to achieve this objective".

For more information, please contact us on 0845 1199 911 or email us
at

ENDS

For more information please contact:
Aydin Kurt-Elli, CEO,
T: 0131 514 4025
E:

Notes to Editors:
www.ednet.co.uk
Since 1995, edNET has earned a solid reputation as a serious
business-class ISP, providing reliable and cost-effective Internet
access
and hosting solutions to businesses throughout Scotland. The firm is
heavily committed to improving the infrastructure of the
telecommunications industry in Scotland and is involved in several
local loop unbundling projects in Edinburgh and Glasgow.

edNET is one the few companies nationwide, and the only Scottish ISP,
to remain on the Oftel/BT Local Loop Unbundling Industry Negotiating
Panel, involved in negotiating for access to BT exchanges for the
deployment of broadband services.

edNET's innovative business model has been listed for four years
running in the Deloitte Technology Fast 50 Scotland awards, and, last
year, was also recognised by inclusion in the Deloitte European Top
500.