How do I check if a line is suitable before moving house?

Old February 20th 04, 05:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian H

Default How do I check if a line is suitable before moving house?

Hi,

I have just found a new property I would like to move to. I have checked the
telephone number with my ISP and it give the usual spiel about being able to
get broadband up to 2Mb.

What I am worried about is that I may be too far from the exchange. Is there
any way to find out if the line will be OK for broadband without ordering
it. (Can't order the B.Band if I have not moved into the new property!)

Cheers

Ian

Old February 20th 04, 07:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
F F Skitty

"Ian H" wrote in message
Hi,

I have just found a new property I would like to move to. I have checked

the
telephone number with my ISP and it give the usual spiel about being able

get broadband up to 2Mb.

What I am worried about is that I may be too far from the exchange. Is

there
any way to find out if the line will be OK for broadband without ordering
it. (Can't order the B.Band if I have not moved into the new property!)

Cheers

Ian

Personally, being on broadband is important enough for me to ask (when
buying a new house - I work from home) the current owners to order broadband
on their phone - I'll pay for any expenses. If they can, we're all the
wiser. If they can't, there's no expense anyway.

You've nothing to lose by asking if they're willing to; and they don't lose
anything either way. Less painful for them than having a surveyor round, for
example, surely? Keep the potential punter happy, and all that?

This sort of thing will probably become fairly standard over the next few
years, I reckon - "ADSL available" -or some such-along with "double glazed
throughout" and "close to amenties" on the ad. (I know I'll want the esate
agent to add it to my house blurb when I sell.)

Old February 21st 04, 04:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 16:11:41 -0000, "Ian H" wrote:

I have checked the
telephone number with my ISP and it give the usual spiel about being able to
get broadband up to 2Mb.
What I am worried about is that I may be too far from the exchange. Is there
any way to find out if the line will be OK for broadband without ordering
it.

the message you get about 2M is the very confirmation you are seeking
-BT's system believes 512k is available and 2M might be. Plug the
number into the btyahoo number checker and see what the 4 letter code
in the resulting url says. If its GGEZ the order will fly through for
any speed, RGEZ or AGEZ will fly through for 512k but need more work
for faster speeds. Lines coded G for green accept orders
automatically.

Phil
Old February 25th 04, 04:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nicholas F Hodder

"Phil Thompson" wrote in message

the message you get about 2M is the very confirmation you are seeking
-BT's system believes 512k is available and 2M might be. Plug the
number into the btyahoo number checker and see what the 4 letter code
in the resulting url says. If its GGEZ the order will fly through for
any speed, RGEZ or AGEZ will fly through for 512k but need more work
for faster speeds. Lines coded G for green accept orders
automatically.

If that last two letters are EA, for example GGEA or RAEA, then the current
subscriber already has ADSL. If the code is RRNE, then it's a pretty bad
sign.