adsl and fax

Old February 20th 04, 08:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Nelson

Default adsl and fax

A query that maybe stupid but...
Currently I have Home Highway and with it a fax utility that can receive and
send faxes

I have registered with PlusNet ADSL - waiting conversion

I know they offer a fax2email service so I can receive faxes (actually not
succeeded in getting it to work yet and activated over 24hrs ago?)

the main question is - is there a simple and CHEAP / FREE (pay per call) way
to send faxes using ADSL?
so it will be the same as using a fax/modem or ISDN fax

cheers

Ian

Old February 20th 04, 09:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Ian Nelson wrote:

A query that maybe stupid but...
Currently I have Home Highway and with it a fax utility that can
receive and send faxes

I have registered with PlusNet ADSL - waiting conversion

I know they offer a fax2email service so I can receive faxes
(actually not succeeded in getting it to work yet and activated over
24hrs ago?)

the main question is - is there a simple and CHEAP / FREE (pay per
call) way to send faxes using ADSL?
so it will be the same as using a fax/modem or ISDN fax

cheers

Ian

Presumably on HH you use Analog 1 for voice for Analog 2 for fax?

With ADSL, you only get one analog line - which you will need to share for
voice and outgoing faxes - by plugging your existing fax modem into the same
line (but different socket!) as your phone. The fax modem will need a
microfilter - unless you have an ADSL master socket with built-in filter.

Incoming faxes are converted into emails, and don't use your phone line - so
no problem. As long as you don't send too many outgoing faxes, using the
voice line should not be too much of a problem.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old February 20th 04, 09:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Nelson

Nope
I use ISDN line for faxing - BT HH comes with "Speedway!fax" utility and
card has number of drivers - PPP, ISDN, Fax
ISDN can emulate analog modem (if that were ever needed) and has fax
function
So I use 1 64K digi line for ISDN internet
and other for fax
ISDN allows and 2 of ISDN 64k digi lines, and analogue lines to be active at
a time
i.e. 2 analogue and no ISDN
or
2 ISDN and no analogue
or
1 ISDN and 1 analogue

But to send and receive faxes I do it on one of the ISDN lines through the
ISDN TA.

So no modem used.

??

I guess you are saying - install a fax/modem and go back to those days?

Ian

Old February 20th 04, 09:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Malcolm Loades

In message , Ian Nelson
writes

But to send and receive faxes I do it on one of the ISDN lines through the
ISDN TA.

So no modem used.

??

I guess you are saying - install a fax/modem and go back to those days?

With ADSL a fax/modem is still a useful standby for when (for surely it
will) ADSL fails. At work we have Zen ADSL, one of the most reliable
suppliers, but only last week BT had a failure in our exchange and we
lost the ADSL connection for 5 hours. At least with 56k dial up we
could still receive mail ...... forget the web browsing ;-(
Old February 20th 04, 09:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Ian Nelson wrote:

I guess you are saying - install a fax/modem and go back to those
days?

Ian

Yes. As far as I know you'll have to use an analog fax modem for outgoing
faxes on a line with ADSL - unless anyone knows differently?
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old February 20th 04, 09:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lurch

But to send and receive faxes I do it on one of the ISDN lines through the
ISDN TA.

So no modem used.

A TA is a modem, it's just called something different and uses a
different line type but does the same job.

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Old February 20th 04, 10:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alun

"Ian Nelson" wrote in message
A query that maybe stupid but...
Currently I have Home Highway and with it a fax utility that can receive

and
send faxes

the main question is - is there a simple and CHEAP / FREE (pay per call)

way
to send faxes using ADSL?
so it will be the same as using a fax/modem or ISDN fax

http://instantfax.co.uk/send_faxes.html works fine and instantly on adsl.

Alun (it's my site, incidentally)

Old February 20th 04, 11:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
jsp21c

I'm using ADSL through a ST 530 Router and still have my old 56k PCI modem
installed too. I'm also using a dedicated phone line to the PC.

The wall socket has the splitter plugged in and the router line is connected
to the ADSL slot and the line from the 56k modem is connected to the other.

This gives me always on ADSL through the router and always on fax through
the PCI modem. The PCI modem is also as backup for PAYG should the ADSL
fail.

I use Winfax software, but there are alternatives around.
Old February 21st 04, 09:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth Jones

In message , Tiscali Tim
writes
I guess you are saying - install a fax/modem and go back to those
days?

Ian

Yes. As far as I know you'll have to use an analog fax modem for outgoing
faxes on a line with ADSL - unless anyone knows differently?

Http://www.e2txt.com/

A friend of mine set up and runs this. I can vouch for his honesty, if
not his web design skills.

Its a PAYG service. I believe you can send about 4 pages for just over
20p
You can either email text, or can include a doc, pdf, xls file etc and
it gets converted and sent automatically.
Give it a bash. At the moment you need to register before you get
detailed instructions !?!
(I've just now phoned him and given him an earbashing about this)
Might be worth a few quid to give it a go. I've tried it and it works
fine.

followed by 'uk2' followed by a dot
followed by 'net'
Old February 23rd 04, 01:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Perkin

"Ian Nelson" wrote in
:

the main question is - is there a simple and CHEAP / FREE (pay per
call) way to send faxes using ADSL?
so it will be the same as using a fax/modem or ISDN fax

I use eFax - it's free for low monthly volumes.
Send via fax modem
Own 0870 number for incoming faxes
Receive via email

http://home.efax.com/s/r/FreeUK

Hope this helps

--

Richard Perkin
To email me, change the AT in the address below

is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.