Connecting dial-up modem to router

Old February 21st 04, 02:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Blunt

Default Connecting dial-up modem to router

I'd like to attach a dial-up modem to one of the spare ports on my
router, so that while traveling away from home I can dial in to access
either my home computer, which is also attached to the router, or the
internet the broadband connection.

Is there a dial-up modem available that will directly interface to a
router in this way? Most modems I have seen only have serial ports
fitted.

Chris

Old February 21st 04, 02:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rusty

Chris Blunt wrote:

I'd like to attach a dial-up modem to one of the spare ports on my
router, so that while traveling away from home I can dial in to access
either my home computer, which is also attached to the router, or the
internet the broadband connection.

Is there a dial-up modem available that will directly interface to a
router in this way? Most modems I have seen only have serial ports
fitted.

Chris

Easier to connect the modem to your PC.
Old February 21st 04, 10:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

I'd like to attach a dial-up modem to one of the spare ports on my
router, so that while traveling away from home I can dial in to access
either my home computer, which is also attached to the router, or the
internet the broadband connection.

How about a solution like VNC (virtual network computer) - it lets you
access your machine as though you`re sat at the keyboard over the
internet.

Old February 22nd 04, 08:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Blunt

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 02:55:37 GMT, Rusty [email protected] wrote:

Chris Blunt wrote:

I'd like to attach a dial-up modem to one of the spare ports on my
router, so that while traveling away from home I can dial in to access
either my home computer, which is also attached to the router, or the
internet the broadband connection.

Is there a dial-up modem available that will directly interface to a
router in this way? Most modems I have seen only have serial ports
fitted.

Chris

Easier to connect the modem to your PC.

Agreed, but I'd also like to be able to do this when the computer at
home is switched off. The main purpose of this is to get access to the
internet via my broadband connection.

A dial-up modem with an ethernet, rather than a serial port, is really
what I'm looking for.

Old February 22nd 04, 10:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Chris Blunt wrote:

I'd like to attach a dial-up modem to one of the spare ports on my
router, so that while traveling away from home I can dial in to
access either my home computer, which is also attached to the
router, or the internet the broadband connection.

Is there a dial-up modem available that will directly interface to a
router in this way? Most modems I have seen only have serial ports
fitted.

Chris

Easier to connect the modem to your PC.

Agreed, but I'd also like to be able to do this when the computer at
home is switched off. The main purpose of this is to get access to the
internet via my broadband connection.

A dial-up modem with an ethernet, rather than a serial port, is really
what I'm looking for.

I suspect that you're trying to solve a problem which doesn't exist!

In your earlier post, you said you wanted to access your home computer. This
would have to be turned on to permit this, so an internal modem would fit
the bill.

With regard to internet access, you would be limited by the speed of your
dial-up connection and would not benefit from the speed of broadband when
accessing it remotely. In addition, you may well be paying for national rate
phone calls. Why not simply use a PAYG connection to your ISP - for which
you will likely only be paying local call rates. [This assumes travelling in
UK, of course. If you're overseas there won't be any difference in the call
charges - but there's still no advantage in accessing the internet via your
home connection rather than directly].
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old February 23rd 04, 04:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Blunt

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 10:39:55 -0000, "Tiscali Tim"

Chris Blunt wrote:

[...]

Perhaps I should have mentioned that I'm not in the UK.

Local telephone calls here are free, but the ISPs make a charge for
access time, and this is what I'm trying to avoid. With what I'm
proposing to do, I could dial into my router and hence access the net
for free while traveling away from home. I do realise that I would be
limited by the speed of the dial-up connection.

The ability to access my home PC was really nothing more than an
additional side benefit. For extended trips away, I would probably not
want to leave the PC on.

Old February 23rd 04, 09:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ron Reid

Chris Blunt wrote:

[...]

If you use Pipex as your adsl provider, then you can have a reduced
rate dial-up account. You then activate global roaming (where there is
a small fixed charge for any month in which you actually use it). This
gives you access via a local vpop in most countries. If local calls
are free you do not then pay for that connection.

I use this when travelling and it works very well. For instance,
travelling with a colleague in the USA a couple of years ago, logging
in for the office email cost him over $700 from his hotel room in a
week (international dial rates to our incoming modem). It cost me
about $10 (50c per local unlimited time call) + £5 roaming charge.
Quite a saving!

More recently, I have begun using Remote Desktop over a vpn tunnel
back to my office machine with this system. Again, works a treat.

The most difficult thing sometimes is finding out how to set up DUN to
insert the correct dial out codes to get an outside line from the
hotel room.

Regards

Ronnie
Old February 24th 04, 04:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Blunt

Chris Blunt wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the information, but I have no connection with the UK or
any ISP there. All this is taking place overseas, so none of the
suggestions have much relevance to me, although I'm grateful for the
replies.

Actually, all I really wanted to know was is there such thing as a
dial-up modem that will interface directly to an Ethernet port on a
router, rather than the normal serial port than most come with?

Old February 24th 04, 08:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Watts

"Chris Blunt" wrote in message
news
I have no connection with the UK or
any ISP there. All this is taking place overseas, so none of the
suggestions have much relevance to me.

So why post here it is UK.telecom.broadband

Old February 24th 04, 11:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Rumm

Chris Blunt wrote:

Is there a dial-up modem available that will directly interface to a
router in this way? Most modems I have seen only have serial ports
fitted.

What you describe could be done with a standard external modem connected
to the WAN interface of a router that supports dial-up connections.

There used to be cheap (ish - i.e. under 100 pound) devices designed for
sharing a standard modem on a network - since the rise of ADSL these are
far less common these days. If you can track one down then it is just a
case of setting it to allow auto answer, and setting up its routing to
talk to your broadband router.

Failing that a fully integrated modem / router like this should do it:

3Com Office Connect 56K LAN

http://www.dabs.com/uk/productView.htm?quicklinx=T4N

--
Cheers,