distance limit absolute??

Old February 21st 04, 07:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham Bowers

Default distance limit absolute??

Hi
I've been refused BB as I live just too far from the exchange :-((
Anybody know if the distance limit may increase anytime soon as I guess
technology moves on?
I'm thinking of BT midband but have heard mixed views. Any comments in
here??
Cheers
Graham
header is munged. replace nospam with bbowers36 and fix the obvious spelling
mistake

Old February 21st 04, 01:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham in Melton

On 21/2/04 10:08 am, in article ,
"Josey" wrote:

"Graham Bowers" wrote in message
Hi
I've been refused BB as I live just too far from the exchange :-((

Sounds like they didn't do a proper test. Go to an ISP that will do a manual
order and retry. Someone like Plusnet, Nildram, Pipex etc.

What a remarkable psychic you are ..... How on earth do you draw that
conclusion ?

Your post is most unhelpful as you didnąt bother to establish the facts
before somehow drawing a conclusion which is all probability, totally
wrong...

To Graham Bowers;

The distance is not absolute, but the line loss is, and thatąs normally
determined by distance plus other factors. If you've been refused, then you
need to ask how close you are to the dB limit. If you're very close, then it
may be worth asking for a manual order to be put through which involves the
ISP making some very accurate measurements and trying to get you connected.

If however you're 5 dB over for example, you won't get BB any time soon. The
range has been extended several times, but the main BT expenditure at
present is on enabling exchanges, rather than trying to add a few
subscribers on in existing exchanges where distance is an issue.

I can't comment on Midband, although I did have HH which under and Anytime
contract gave me great access. Midland has a 150hour cap at 64k and 75 hours
at 128k per month - not much good really IMO.

Old February 21st 04, 02:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 07:28:19 -0000, Graham Bowers
wrote:

Hi
I've been refused BB as I live just too far from the exchange :-((
Anybody know if the distance limit may increase anytime soon as I guess
technology moves on?
I'm thinking of BT midband but have heard mixed views. Any comments in
here??
Cheers
Graham
header is munged. replace nospam with bbowers36 and fix the obvious
spelling
mistake

Hi,

The current limits on ADSL are line loss of less than 60dB and line length
less than 6km. It's very hard to get a 100% accurate line length
measurement so anything marginal will generally be tested by a Precision
Test Officer at your property, or the nearest distribution point to it,
for line loss.
BT are currently testing ADSL 2 in a few areas which may increase the
limit a little, estimates are about 0.2km at the moment. There was talk a
while back about a 256kbps service, this was put on hold last year, and
whether it will extend the limits I don't know.
I've not used BT Midband, so couldn't comment on it, at the moment this
isn't a service we offer.

--
Regards,

Old February 21st 04, 02:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham Bowers

"Josey" wrote in message

"Graham Bowers" wrote in message
Hi
I've been refused BB as I live just too far from the exchange :-((

Sounds like they didn't do a proper test. Go to an ISP that will do a

manual
order and retry. Someone like Plusnet, Nildram, Pipex etc.

Jc.

I applied to Zen who got BT to do a test, but how this may vary from the
*manual* test you suggest I do not know.
Cheers
Graham

Old February 21st 04, 02:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham Bowers

"Graham in Melton" wrote in message
On 21/2/04 10:08 am, in article ,
"Josey" wrote:

"Graham Bowers" wrote in message
Hi
I've been refused BB as I live just too far from the exchange :-((

Sounds like they didn't do a proper test. Go to an ISP that will do a

manual
order and retry. Someone like Plusnet, Nildram, Pipex etc.

What a remarkable psychic you are ..... How on earth do you draw that
conclusion ?

Your post is most unhelpful as you didnąt bother to establish the facts
before somehow drawing a conclusion which is all probability, totally
wrong...

It's only usenet, nobody dies...................

[...]

I'll ask Zen for some more details, but I'm currently researching satellite
offerings, and based on what I've read so far I'm 80% confident I'll end up
with a satellite link.
Cheers
Graham

Old February 21st 04, 02:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham Bowers

news
wrote:

Hi
I've been refused BB as I live just too far from the exchange :-((
Anybody know if the distance limit may increase anytime soon as I guess
technology moves on?
I'm thinking of BT midband but have heard mixed views. Any comments in
here??
Cheers
Graham
header is munged. replace nospam with bbowers36 and fix the obvious
spelling
mistake

Hi,

The current limits on ADSL are line loss of less than 60dB and line length
less than 6km. It's very hard to get a 100% accurate line length
measurement so anything marginal will generally be tested by a Precision
Test Officer at your property, or the nearest distribution point to it,
for line loss.
BT are currently testing ADSL 2 in a few areas which may increase the
limit a little, estimates are about 0.2km at the moment. There was talk a
while back about a 256kbps service, this was put on hold last year, and
whether it will extend the limits I don't know.
I've not used BT Midband, so couldn't comment on it, at the moment this
isn't a service we offer.

--
Regards,

| Dave Tomlinson Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support for Home & Business

Thanks for the reply. As I indicated to others, I'll get some more info from
the ISP I tried, but will probably go for satellite.
Cheers
Graham

Old February 21st 04, 06:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Josey

"Josey" wrote:

"Graham Bowers" wrote in message
Hi
I've been refused BB as I live just too far from the exchange :-((

Sounds like they didn't do a proper test. Go to an ISP that will do a

manual
order and retry. Someone like Plusnet, Nildram, Pipex etc.

What a remarkable psychic you are ..... How on earth do you draw that
conclusion ?

Experience from commissioning more than 25 DSL connections. If you are told
"you are two far away" it typically implies a line loss test has not been
done, otherwise you would typically be told your line loss was to high.

Your post is most unhelpful as you didnąt bother to establish the facts
before somehow drawing a conclusion which is all probability, totally
wrong...

You are entitled to your opinion. I am not obliged to interrogate the OP
before posting mine.

Jc.

Old February 21st 04, 06:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Josey

"Graham Bowers" wrote in message

Thanks for the reply. As I indicated to others, I'll get some more info

from
the ISP I tried, but will probably go for satellite.
Cheers
Graham

Just be aware of the high latency of a satellite link (presumably you have
already seen the costs).

It's OK if you are running a business on it, but no good for playing online
games.

Jc.

Old February 21st 04, 06:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

wrote:

I'm thinking of BT midband but have heard mixed views. Any comments in
here??

midband is a service delivered over a Home Highway line, the latter
gets you 128k capability if you use both channels for ~Ł23/month,
Midband adds Ł10/month for 150 channel hours (75h @ 128k or 150h @
64k) with riollover of unsed hours (somewhat unlikely).

You can use other ISPs like a 64k Anytime deal alongside the midband
for when you need 128k. Try to get an ISP that supports compression,
as this speeds up usenet, email and web browsing.

Phil
Old February 21st 04, 09:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scott

I have a similar problem
SO far all BT will say is your line cannot support ADSL
No distance or noise level mentioned and they have refused to give this info
to me quoting the data protection act as their reason.(I thought this act
was to protect the idividuals confidentiality of data not big corporations
bull**** levels)
I have now ordered with PIPEX
What are my chances of them being able to push through a manual order
I know people in my estate who are further from the exchange with ADSL but
BT seem to be refusing my line