Plus net

Old February 21st 04, 11:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Smokeyone

Default Plus net

Has anyone any views on Plus net. I am thinking of signing up with
them on their 3 times speed service but I thought I would just check
here first..re...customer service and is it actually three times
faster or would I actually notice the difference against ord line...

Thanks

Smokeyone
Old February 21st 04, 11:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Don't bother with the 3 times service. The cost saving over the basic
broadband package is not worth it. Service from PLUS net is first class.

Old February 21st 04, 12:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Josey

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
Don't bother with the 3 times service. The cost saving over the basic
broadband package is not worth it. Service from PLUS net is first class.

'tis true you'd see a big difference with the full speed package which is
only £18.99 per month (plus setup fees).Assuming you don't want to use P2P
or binary newsgroups.

Having sais that 150K always on is still a lot better than dial-up.

They've had a few problems with storage for email and web systems over the
last few weeks, but new disks are going in in the next couple of days

Jc.

Old February 21st 04, 01:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Nelson

I have looked around and read up on various ADSL ISP's
My conclusion came to a select few :
Nildram
Zen
PlusNet
Andrews and Arnold

I think from what i can see and hear, Andrews and Arnold are very good but
expensive.
You seem to pay more and get better service and features.
However, PlusNet get very good praise and one of my family members has
signed up for their £18.99 package and is very happy with them.
My argument to myself is why pay an extra £6-£8 per month for ADSL to get
same speed and service?
I have just signed up for the £21.99 package as I want P2P and binary
newsgroups and static IP.

So far I have found they answer support calls and emails promptly and are
very helpful and provide a wealth of features:
e.g. 250MB webspace
MySQL and PHP (only normally available through a dedicated hosting package)
Static IP
etc.

I would suggest going for at least the £18.99 deal as it is 512K rather than
150K of the £15 deal for only a small amount more in cost and considerable
speed increase.

If you do choose them I would be delighted if you would enter "neltek" in
the referrer box to help me on my way - I think it gets me a few pence off
my subscription.

Hope you succeed in your choice and enjoy.

regards

Ian

m...

Old February 21st 04, 05:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Smokeyone

"Josey" wrote in message ...
"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
Don't bother with the 3 times service. The cost saving over the basic
broadband package is not worth it. Service from PLUS net is first class.

'tis true you'd see a big difference with the full speed package which is
only £18.99 per month (plus setup fees).Assuming you don't want to use P2P
or binary newsgroups.

Having sais that 150K always on is still a lot better than dial-up.

They've had a few problems with storage for email and web systems over the
last few weeks, but new disks are going in in the next couple of days

Jc.

Thanks for the replies. Could go with four times speed I suppose
instead. If it assists I do not need it for games or for downloading
tons of files but it would be good to search web sites or check e-mail
without bt cutting off every minute or so. For info I also use Firefly
- half a pence a minute - sometimes have trouble getting through but
at least they do not keep cutting you off.

Smokeyone

PS Have you noticed that when you are in a hurry the ISP either cuts
out or you cannot get through...............how do they
know............
Old February 22nd 04, 08:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 20:05, "Martin²" wrote:

Having said that I would still recommend PlusNet at £18.99 for the 'full
monty' BB.

I guess you mean full speed BB, ie 500k, but there are restrictions on
the account as you know (25 MB for website, block on peer-to-peer s/w
and text-only news feeds). Still pretty good and the 15/16 quid 3x
speed don't seem worthwhile unless one wants to later go up to 2 Mbps
as the line will be capable of it (Tiscali limit speed down as needed
by the customer). Peter M.
Old February 23rd 04, 01:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Smith

DONT get Nildram

Nildram have a hysterical American woman team-leader working there who
screams at customers and who is more interested in trashing and diging the
dirt on customers and potential customers then actually resolving customers.
She regards all customers as naught ive year old embuggerances and treats
them accordingly

Nildram are NOT to be trusted

Don't even think of trying to complain to Nildram when they cock something
up!

You can always form a good impression of a company from the way they handle
complaints

Nildram's way of dealing with complaints is utterly terrible
Avoid like the plague

V21 are another shocking company who are not memebers of ISPA and so dont
give a monkeys. Their attitude is that they are cheap so who cares if their
services fall over all the time?. Avoid like the plague

Freeserve are really good now that they are owned by Wanadoo and not DSG.
They seem to have ditiched the 'It's free so what are you camplaining
about/' and actually DO seem to be trying to provide a good service.
Freeserve are justifiiable award winners. Recommended

Go PLUSNET, who eveyone says are dead good, both for quality of service AND
support

Bulldog are getting a good reputation now also and are winning awards. I
spoke to Bulldog and formed a very good impression

Tiscali are a joke as are AOL of course (unless you are a clueless newbie
who needs their hands held)

As for BT , well let me just say that I own BTOpenworldSucks.com - anyone
want to buy it BTW as I have not had time to build my protest site?

No doubt daniel 'checker' huyton, (who spends his whole life trashing mine)
aka will trash these opinions of mine

Ian

Old February 23rd 04, 09:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Peter M.:
the 15/16 quid 3x
speed don't seem worthwhile unless one wants to later go up to 2 Mbps
as the line will be capable of it (Tiscali limit speed down as needed
by the customer).

Hmm, yes, assuming that you are close enough to the exchange to get 1Mbps or
better connection.
Regards,
Martin

Old February 23rd 04, 10:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 20:05:21 -0000, "Martin²"
wrote:

Smokeyone:
Has anyone any views on Plus net. I am thinking of signing up with
them on their 3 times speed service but I thought I would just check
here first..re...customer service and is it actually three times
faster or would I actually notice the difference against ord line...

The 150k service is re-sold Tiscali product (and probably the 200k too).
Last time I looked it was actually cheaper to get it from Tiscali - much
lower connection fee !
Having said that I would still recommend PlusNet at £18.99 for the 'full
monty' BB.
mine hasn't missed single bit since May installation.
Regards,
Martin

I could not see their actual address, email address or phone number on
their WEB site. Is it there somewhere?

David Bradley