can't get central point 2MB

Old February 21st 04, 11:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim M

Default can't get central point 2MB

Signed up with Central Point last week for their 2MB service.

Got a letter this morning saying that I can't have it as they need 4 people
minimum to sign up for it at my exchange - 'significant work' being needed
at my exchange to provide Telefonica 2MB connection. They say they can give
me 1MB right away however.

Will this be the same with all ISP's?

--
---
Jim

Old February 21st 04, 12:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Norman

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 11:09:17 -0000, "Jim M"
wrote:

Signed up with Central Point last week for their 2MB service.

Got a letter this morning saying that I can't have it as they need 4 people
minimum to sign up for it at my exchange - 'significant work' being needed
at my exchange to provide Telefonica 2MB connection. They say they can give
me 1MB right away however.

Will this be the same with all ISP's?

Not necessarily. It looks like the aren't using BT's wholesale ADSL
service for their 2Mb lines like most ISPs do (as they say 2Mb lines
are not available at all exchanges).

With an ISP getting their ADSL only via BT any enabled exchange would
have 2Mb lines (assuming there was spare capacity).

So, try another ISP.
--
Andy Norman
http://www.norman.cx/
Old February 21st 04, 03:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

wrote:

Will this be the same with all ISP's?

no, this will occur only with ISPs using "datastream" connections.

These are usually identifiable by being less than 512k (256, 150 etc)
or 2M at 50:1 contention, none of which are available as BT IPstream
products which cover all exchanges.

Tiscali, Plusnet, CPBB, and others have services in this bracket.

You may also like to contemplate the service you'll get when "at least
4" other 2M users are on a 2M connection to the exchange.

Phil
Old February 23rd 04, 09:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 15:41:24 +0000, Phil Thompson
wrote:

You may also like to contemplate the service you'll get when "at least
4" other 2M users are on a 2M connection to the exchange.

Phil

Eh? Compared to at least 10 users (and possibly up to 50) on a 500k
connection?
Old February 24th 04, 03:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:40:39 +0000, Phil wrote:

Eh? Compared to at least 10 users (and possibly up to 50) on a 500k
connection?

not the case.

BT might put 200 or more 500k users on 4 or 5 Mb link with IPstream,
there is no 500k connection the 50:1 is a ratio. It needs 8-10 people
at full bore before the next person reduces the speed of everyone.

Datastream providers often put a 2M link into an exchange (virtual
path) so you might have 4 2M customers and 10 1M customers and 20 512k
customers on it. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to see that
when the pipe size is the same or very close to the individual
connection size the probability of congestion is much higher. A 2M
user will see a drop in speed if one other person is on line.

Tiscali's 150k users seem to see a lot of contention / performance
issues, this is why.

Phil