DLink 614+ - is port forwarding broken?

Old February 21st 04, 12:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Thomas Peel

Default DLink 614+ - is port forwarding broken?

Hello

I have a DI614+ WLAN router and I need to access an application on the
internet that uses UDP packets on port 3290. (BTW the application works
fine when I bypass the router completely.)

I have the PC cabled to router, and I mapped to a static IP address of
192.168.0.101 outside of the DHCP range (redefined as 100-199). I opened
the port 3290 using the "Virtual Server" definition.

It appears that, while the incoming packets are being forwarded to the
PC correctly, the router is mapping the outgoing packets from 3290 into
some port number up around 60000.

I tried other kinds of definitions, such as defining an application, or
moving the PC into the DMZ. Same problem.

I've been in contact with some other users, and established that at
least the DLink 604 works correctly with this application, but no other
examples of running over the 614+.
Is there some known problem with port forwarding with this particular
router, or am I doing something fundamentally wrong?

Tom
Old February 22nd 04, 05:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kris Shaw

HI,

It appears that, while the incoming packets are being forwarded to the
PC correctly, the router is mapping the outgoing packets from 3290 into
some port number up around 60000.

That would appear to be normal behaviour for a device performing
Network Address and Port translation (what most people call NAT).

NAT without port translation is only good for static NAT, e.g. 1:1
mapping between public and private addresses.

Kris.
Old February 22nd 04, 06:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Thomas Peel

Kris Shaw schrieb:

HI,

It appears that, while the incoming packets are being forwarded to the
PC correctly, the router is mapping the outgoing packets from 3290 into
some port number up around 60000.

That would appear to be normal behaviour for a device performing
Network Address and Port translation (what most people call NAT).

NAT without port translation is only good for static NAT, e.g. 1:1
mapping between public and private addresses.

Kris.

Hello Kris

but that is what I am trying to achieve. I want to have one specific
PC with a fixed IP address on the local LAN that is mapping specific
ports 1:1 onto the WAN, with no port translation.
Can I do it with this router?

Tom