Alerted of intrusion attempt?

Old February 21st 04, 01:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

Default Alerted of intrusion attempt?

Hi,

My Belkin access point/router has a firewall setting 'Do you want to be
alerted of intrusion attempts?'

The built in log recorded a series of intrusion attempts, but failed to
notify me (other than logging the attempts). How would it notify me by
other means than the log?

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Old February 21st 04, 02:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gus

usually a email or network notice/log

Old February 21st 04, 07:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

On 21/02/2004 Gus opined:-
usually a email or network notice/log

Not email, as there was no means by which to set up a notification
email address or server. The only setting I could find in the router
was a Y/N answer to the 'Be alerted of an intrusion attempt'. Nothing
in the instructions at all as to how the alert might work. How would I
set XP up to show such a network alert?

Old February 21st 04, 08:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
vic

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 19:52:20 GMT, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

On 21/02/2004 Gus opined:-
usually a email or network notice/log

Not email, as there was no means by which to set up a notification
email address or server. The only setting I could find in the router
was a Y/N answer to the 'Be alerted of an intrusion attempt'. Nothing
in the instructions at all as to how the alert might work. How would I
set XP up to show such a network alert?

Well, you could tick the box to be alerted, then try
out one of those free online port scanners. That
ought to be enough to kick off an intrusion alert.

Who knows, the damn thing might *beep* at you!

Vic.

a) Top posting.
q) What's the worst thing about UseNet?

Old February 23rd 04, 08:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
.uk...
Hi,

My Belkin access point/router has a firewall setting 'Do you want to be
alerted of intrusion attempts?'

The built in log recorded a series of intrusion attempts, but failed to
notify me (other than logging the attempts). How would it notify me by
other means than the log?

Do you really want that? You'll be getting intrusion attempt alerts all the
time. When I first installed Zone Alarm I told it to alert on intrusions
and I must have got a dozen in the first ten minutes. After that I just log
them all.

Old February 23rd 04, 12:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

On 23/02/2004 Dave a wrote :
Do you really want that? You'll be getting intrusion attempt alerts all the
time. When I first installed Zone Alarm I told it to alert on intrusions
and I must have got a dozen in the first ten minutes. After that I just log
them all.

It has so far only logged genuine attempts to hack into my systems, not
the less serious probes you mention. It is just that the only way I
found out about them, was by checking the routers log after the event.
I had set the notification to 'Yes', but certainly didn't see any
notification.