1mb service

Old February 21st 04, 07:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick

Default 1mb service

Can someone please tell me the distance limit and what the line test
result should be within for BT 1mb ADSL Package.

I'll explain why: When i took bt 500 package I was 2.6km from the
exchange with a line test of 53db. Now I want there new 1mb upgrade, I'm
now over 3.5km from the exchange and the 1mb speed is not available on
lines giving a result of more than 41db.

why has the distance changed. In the 18mths I have been with BT has my
house really moved over 900m away from the exchange by some force of
nature. I dont think so! has changing my telephone number 3mths ago
added over 900m of cable to my line, wouldn't have thot so.

TIA

Old February 21st 04, 08:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Danny Richards

Nick wrote:

"has changing my telephone number 3mths ago added over 900m of cable to my
line, wouldn't have thot so.

Actually - it can. Its rare but it can. Although 900m would seem steep. Ive
known of lines gain 500 metres from moving from one frame in an exchange to
another - although why I will never know.

It could be the initial test result was wrong, or the new one is wrong.
testing a line with adsl on it adds distance AND increases the noise
figures. It would have been far to sensible for BT to have thought of that.
When you have the line tested next time DO IT FROM ELSEWHERE with ALL ADSL
kit and filters removed (plain socket only). You may find some of your
missing 900 metres.
Old February 21st 04, 08:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Nick wrote:
Can someone please tell me the distance limit and what the line test
result should be within for BT 1mb ADSL Package.

I'll explain why: When i took bt 500 package I was 2.6km from the
exchange with a line test of 53db. Now I want there new 1mb
upgrade, I'm now over 3.5km from the exchange and the 1mb speed is
not available on lines giving a result of more than 41db.

Look at your line test results ...............now really look at them. Your
line loss is 53db which is well outside the limit for 1 or even 2mb.

Don't get wrapped up in line length results, don't even get upset about
differing line length results on line test (in house the engineers pay
little heed to them, unless they have local knowledge) it's the line loss
which is the important one.

Oh & by the way if you at some time in the past have been changed from one
cable to another (especially e side, between exchange & cab,) it can add or
even take away from your line length. I personally know of one cab where
there is at least a 3km difference between one e side cable length & another
from the same exchange due to differing routing of cables...

Old February 22nd 04, 11:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Danny Richards wrote:
Kráftéé wrote:

Kraftee babe, what are the db figures for 1mbps & 2mbps?
Yet to come accross a sub with it here.....

Lat time I checked it was 45db.

Old February 23rd 04, 12:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R W

Danny Richards wrote:
Nick wrote:

"has changing my telephone number 3mths ago added over 900m of cable
to my line, wouldn't have thot so.

Actually - it can. Its rare but it can. Although 900m would seem
steep. Ive known of lines gain 500 metres from moving from one frame
in an exchange to another - although why I will never know.

It could be the initial test result was wrong, or the new one is
wrong. testing a line with adsl on it adds distance AND increases the
noise figures. It would have been far to sensible for BT to have
thought of that. When you have the line tested next time DO IT FROM
ELSEWHERE with ALL ADSL kit and filters removed (plain socket only).
You may find some of your missing 900 metres.

The extension wiring in our house made the db loss jump from 8dB up to
60dB!

Old February 23rd 04, 12:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

R W wrote:
Danny Richards wrote:
Nick wrote:

"has changing my telephone number 3mths ago added over 900m of
cable to my line, wouldn't have thot so.

Actually - it can. Its rare but it can. Although 900m would seem
steep. Ive known of lines gain 500 metres from moving from one
frame in an exchange to another - although why I will never know.

It could be the initial test result was wrong, or the new one is
wrong. testing a line with adsl on it adds distance AND increases
the noise figures. It would have been far to sensible for BT to
have thought of that. When you have the line tested next time DO
IT FROM ELSEWHERE with ALL ADSL kit and filters removed (plain
socket only). You may find some of your missing 900 metres.

The extension wiring in our house made the db loss jump from 8dB up
to 60dB!

Can't help but wonder what it did to your SNR as well..

Old February 23rd 04, 01:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R W

Kráftéé wrote:
R W wrote:
Danny Richards wrote:
Nick wrote:

"has changing my telephone number 3mths ago added over 900m of
cable to my line, wouldn't have thot so.

Actually - it can. Its rare but it can. Although 900m would seem
steep. Ive known of lines gain 500 metres from moving from one
frame in an exchange to another - although why I will never know.

It could be the initial test result was wrong, or the new one is
wrong. testing a line with adsl on it adds distance AND increases
the noise figures. It would have been far to sensible for BT to
have thought of that. When you have the line tested next time DO
IT FROM ELSEWHERE with ALL ADSL kit and filters removed (plain
socket only). You may find some of your missing 900 metres.

The extension wiring in our house made the db loss jump from 8dB up
to 60dB!

Can't help but wonder what it did to your SNR as well..

Can't remember!

All the extensions are now connected downstream of the filter....

Old February 24th 04, 11:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 19:33:35 +0000, Nick
wrote:

I'll explain why: When i took bt 500 package I was 2.6km from the
exchange with a line test of 53db. Now I want there new 1mb upgrade, I'm
now over 3.5km from the exchange and the 1mb speed is not available on
lines giving a result of more than 41db.

the distance is a red herring. The line loss is too high for 2M / 1M
services.

Phil