Newbie Request - What kit for Blueyonder?

Old February 22nd 04, 04:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Roberts

Default Newbie Request - What kit for Blueyonder?

Hi Folks,

I need some advice - I have trawled the net but have ended up more confused
than when I started.

I've got a wired home network with 4 PCs joined together through a hub.
Telewest are installing broadband on Friday.

I want to set up:

a.. A hardware router to enable each of my PCs to get to the net as
required.
b.. A hardware firewall
Can anyone recommend what kit I should buy? Preferably combining both in
one box.

Thanks, in anticipation.

Jim Roberts

Birmingham

Old February 22nd 04, 04:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nozza

I'm on Blueyonder. I went for a Linksys BEFSR41 broadband switch
router. Available from ebuyer.co.uk for 36.55 in vat - quickfind 37451

It was a case of plug in, switch on and use. If you don't want to
register the MAC address of the router with blueyonder, you can opt to
spoof a MAC address of one of the PC nics. Easier simply to register
the MAC of the router.

Got my BEFSR41 last April. Been powered on 24/7 since. Works a treat.

HTH

Noz
--
Email nozza underscore wales at yahoo co uk
Old February 22nd 04, 05:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Evan Joanette

Bluyeyonder will likely provide the modem of their choice. I received a
Motorola Surfboard Cable Modem SB4200. It has an ethernet connector on the
back (in addition to USB). Unless someone knows different, this should work
with ANY ethernet router.

I would also recomment Linksys's BEFSR41, or 81 (8-port) as the way to split
the connection. Do remember that bandwith can get tied up during
simultaneous gaming (or even www surfing), and you might want to spring for
package faster than the base 512kbps.

Evan