Changing to ethernet

Old February 22nd 04, 08:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Baker

Default Changing to ethernet

Can anybody offer any help on this? I have been using a USB connection
to myNTL cable modem ( Home 100) but want to switch to ethernet.
Having installed my NetgearFA311 PCI card, I cannot get a connection
using an ethernet cable. I have tried switching off the modem and
retrying,; I have even removed the "USB cable modem" driver from the
Network.... all to no avail. If I try to reinstall the Broadjump
software it eventually throws up an error message " DHCP Release
/renew failed. You have 1 network adapter set to DHCP Netgear FA 311".
My knowledge of these things is painfully small and NTL help have not
been much use so far. Does anybody know what I need to do? Thanks
Old February 22nd 04, 09:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"John Baker" wrote in message
m...
Can anybody offer any help on this? I have been using a USB connection
to myNTL cable modem ( Home 100) but want to switch to ethernet.
Having installed my NetgearFA311 PCI card, I cannot get a connection
using an ethernet cable. I have tried switching off the modem and
retrying,; I have even removed the "USB cable modem" driver from the
Network.... all to no avail. If I try to reinstall the Broadjump
software it eventually throws up an error message " DHCP Release
/renew failed. You have 1 network adapter set to DHCP Netgear FA 311".
My knowledge of these things is painfully small and NTL help have not
been much use so far. Does anybody know what I need to do? Thanks

with Telewest we have to register the MAC address of the network card before
it will work. Do you have to do that with NTL? We can do it through selfcare
or over the phone.

Old February 22nd 04, 09:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harvey Van Sickle

On 22 Feb 2004, John Baker wrote

Can anybody offer any help on this? I have been using a USB
connection to myNTL cable modem ( Home 100) but want to switch to
ethernet. Having installed my NetgearFA311 PCI card, I cannot get
a connection using an ethernet cable. I have tried switching off
the modem and retrying,; I have even removed the "USB cable modem"
driver from the Network.... all to no avail. If I try to
reinstall the Broadjump software it eventually throws up an error
message " DHCP Release /renew failed. You have 1 network adapter
set to DHCP Netgear FA 311". My knowledge of these things is
painfully small and NTL help have not been much use so far. Does
anybody know what I need to do? Thanks

Go to Robin Walker's info pages (absolutely the *best* resource for
this stuff -- bookmark these pages, me lad!) --

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d...ips/index.html

In the left-hand menu, look for "USB issues" -- under that, he has an
entry about "Swapping USB to ethernet and vice-versa".

Hope it helps.

--
Cheers,
Harvey

For e-mail, change harvey to whhvs.
Old February 23rd 04, 09:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sparks

Firstly, are you using a cross over cable to connect the cable box to the
modem? (You should be!)

Next, check your IP address of this card
Before you start, I would shutdown the PC,
Turn off cable modem
Wait a minute
Turn on cable modem
when sync light is solid, turn on PC
If the card has not been registered, the IP address will be 10.X.X.X
If the card is not talking to the modem, the address will be 169.x.x.x
When it is working the address will be 8x.x.x.x

To check the IP address, open a DOS box (Start, Run, then type COMMAND (and
press enter!)

Then in the dos box type ipconfig

This will then list all you network devices in your PC - The Ethernet card
will be one of them!

If the address is a 10. address, this is good! you need to then register the
Ethernet card

Open up internet explorer (or whatever browser you use)
in the address field, try autoreg.autoregister.net
if that doesn't work, type 80.5.178.26

Hopefully it will then ask you what service you are registering!
(Remember, when it asks for your surname, it is CaSe SeSiTiVe
So depending on what they have in their database, you may need to try
ProperCase
lowercase
CAPS

If it is not a 10. address, let us know

Sparks...

m...

Old February 23rd 04, 09:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sparks

You could of couurse call NTL and wait about 10 hours to actually talk to a
person without a clue ;-)

Sparks...

Old February 23rd 04, 10:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
jsp21c

Try running the Windows Network Wizard & use the wizard to select your
network card from a list of network connections on your PC & also select
your router/modem, then the wizard will set up the network. ( Make sure you
have any software firewalls off at the time too.)

It worked for me when I was having difficulties switching from USB to
Ethernet.
Old February 24th 04, 08:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Baker

Many thanks for all the advice- a real response after wasting 45 minutes
on the phone with NTL !!
Regards to all

John Baker
"phoenix" wrote in message
On 22 Feb 2004 12:47:50 -0800, John Baker wrote:

Can anybody offer any help on this? I have been using a USB connection
to myNTL cable modem ( Home 100) but want to switch to ethernet.
Having installed my NetgearFA311 PCI card, I cannot get a connection
using an ethernet cable. I have tried switching off the modem and
retrying,; I have even removed the "USB cable modem" driver from the
Network.... all to no avail. If I try to reinstall the Broadjump
software it eventually throws up an error message " DHCP Release
/renew failed. You have 1 network adapter set to DHCP Netgear FA 311".
My knowledge of these things is painfully small and NTL help have not
been much use so far. Does anybody know what I need to do? Thanks

Hi

There is a limit on the number of MAC address changes within any four hour
period that the CM will accept. I would suggest leaving it powered-off
overnight and try again the next morning, you should find that works.

If you still have problems this has been covered a few time in the forums
at www.cm-forums.co.uk have a look there for the details, post in the
forums if you need any help.

Regards

Bill