802.11g USB device

Old February 22nd 04, 11:55 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Scampi

Default 802.11g USB device

I have a laptop that doesn't have a PCMCIA/Cardbus slot - whats the best
(portable) device that I can use to pick up the wireless signal from the
Netgear DG834G router?

Thanks

Old February 23rd 04, 12:08 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Dan

I'm not too sure about 802.11g USB devices because USB (1) has much lower
bandwidth so there wouldn't be much point. I haven't seen any USB2 ones but
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

The belkin wireless 802.11b USB adaptor from dabs suits me perfect.

Dan

Old February 23rd 04, 12:40 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Nelson

I haven't yet bought USB or PCMCIA wireless adapters so don't know which are
which but got the following advice on a previous post on the subject:

I would advise to go for (Orinoco) USB wifi adapter(s) as they are easy

position for best signal,
half an inch can make a difference. Simpler and cheaper the PCI's and
antennas.

I have seen them advertised on www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk - they are not 54g
but there are 54g usb adaptors of other makes on the site as well.

Ian

Old February 23rd 04, 12:48 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Olly

I may be wrong, but as a (mainly) home user, I would rather have a product
which does not require half-inch-prefect positioning...

I know that my kids keep moving our wireless receivers, so I would rather
have products that work in the area they are located, rather than rely on
precision placing!!

--
Olly
www.bordersbroadband.co.uk

Old February 23rd 04, 01:19 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Nelson

I dunno
I think rather than meaning that the USB ones had to be precisely placed to
work,
he was saying that all can suffer from positioning and a minor move can
improve things,
so using a USB one on a wire enables you to make that movement and
improvement???

As I say - currently I have neither and am looking what to get

cheers

Ian

Old February 23rd 04, 01:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
John

I can highly recommend the Netgear wg121 USB adapter, far better than any
cardbus adapter I've tried. Works with USB 1.1 too. Have tried other USB
devices, this is by far the best (make sure you use the latest driver and
firmware available from Netgear's support site).

Old February 25th 04, 09:53 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Benedict Addis

"Scampi" wrote in message
I have a laptop that doesn't have a PCMCIA/Cardbus slot - whats the best
(portable) device that I can use to pick up the wireless signal from the
Netgear DG834G router?

Thanks

The problem here is that original USB 1.1 runs at 12 Mbits per second,
whereas the 802.11g standard can reach 54 Mbps.

If your laptop's USB port is USB2 compatible, then no problems - you can use
the Netgear WG121 USB2 adapter. It's available from us he
www.itchest.co.uk/dg834g.aspx (it's the '802.11g USB 2.0 adapter')

If your laptop is more than about a year old, it probably won't support
USB2, so you won't get the full benefit of the new wireless standard. You
could buy a cheaper 802.11b wireless adapter (also available on the above
link as the 'Wireless USB adapter'), but then you risk slowing the whole
network down. It's up to you!

Benedict.

--
Add the 'co' to reply
www.itchest.co.uk

Old February 26th 04, 09:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Huck Portobello

Is this cool piece of kit workable with an AOL BroadBand connexion?
Old February 27th 04, 02:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

The problem isn't the USB client / adaptor, it's AOL !
AOL login software will not ONLY work with some routers.
There was a long thread about it just a few days ago, (might have been
alt.internet.wireless)
search for it (using Google).
(Better still ditch AOL, get cheaper and better ADSL service from PlusNet,
use ANY router etc.)
Regards,
Martin

Old February 27th 04, 08:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

"Martin²" wrote in message
news
The problem isn't the USB client / adaptor, it's AOL !
AOL login software will not ONLY work with some routers.
There was a long thread about it just a few days ago, (might have been
alt.internet.wireless)
search for it (using Google).
(Better still ditch AOL, get cheaper and better ADSL service from PlusNet,
use ANY router etc.)
Regards,
Martin

After a year of knocking AOL I have to say since their network now supports
Routers, they are not that bad !.
I have set up a friends AOL with a Netgear DG814 and so long as you can
configure the MTU size to 1400 any ADSL Router should work.