Wireless Network

Old February 23rd 04, 09:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth :-\) voom

Default Wireless Network

Hi Yawl,

We have just put a wireless network in our home to link multiple PC's to
broadband for the kids. I have been informed by a friend that the wirless
network may not be secure as people in the area could access it and use our
connection.

This seems very worrying to me...if someone managed to log on to our
wireless network without use knowing then they could send spam mail or even
worse download child porn and it would originate back to me.

Is this information correct or am I being mislead? If it is correct is there
anything I can do or buy to secure the network?

Cheers.

Old February 23rd 04, 09:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sparks

"Gareth :-) voom" wrote in message
Hi Yawl,

We have just put a wireless network in our home to link multiple PC's to
broadband for the kids. I have been informed by a friend that the wirless
network may not be secure as people in the area could access it and use

our
connection.

This seems very worrying to me...if someone managed to log on to our
wireless network without use knowing then they could send spam mail or

even
worse download child porn and it would originate back to me.

Is this information correct or am I being mislead? If it is correct is

there
anything I can do or buy to secure the network?

IF you have not set encryption keys on the wireless kit, it is very easy for
anyone with a laptop and a wireless card to simply log onto your network
while standing outside your house (or if the live next door!
Once they are in, they can, A use your internet connection,
and B (depending how they are set up) access files on your PC's and print to
your printers

The best thing to do would be to firstly make sure there is an encryption
key (128bit or better) set on all of the kit (They all have to have the same
key)

Do you have a router box, or is the broadband shared via one of the PC's?

Sparks...

Old February 23rd 04, 09:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Brown

"Gareth :-) voom" wrote in message
Hi Yawl,

We have just put a wireless network in our home to link multiple PC's to
broadband for the kids. I have been informed by a friend that the wirless
network may not be secure as people in the area could access it and use

our
connection.

Yes, this is correct. Your wireless network is transmitting and receiving in
the unlicensed frequency band 2.4GHz. This is free for all.

This seems very worrying to me...if someone managed to log on to our
wireless network without use knowing then they could send spam mail or

even
worse download child porn and it would originate back to me.

Correct again. You are getting the hang of this wireless network lark...

Is this information correct or am I being mislead? If it is correct is

there
anything I can do or buy to secure the network?

Yes,

1) turn on your WEP (using 128 or 256 bit keys if supported), but WEP can be
cracked very easily
2) turn off your SSID broadcast (but some network cards will not work with
your AP in this mode)
3) use WPA if supported
4) Lock down the MAC address permitted to access your AP (but MAC is easy to
clone) to stop other PC from connecting to your network
5) Change your admin password from the default as many hacker will use the
default passwords to try to login and undo your security settings (above)

Old February 23rd 04, 10:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

IF you have not set encryption keys on the wireless kit, it is very easy
for
anyone with a laptop and a wireless card to simply log onto your network
while standing outside your house

The chances of some geek doing that surely is highly unlikely, the
expression 'get a life' comes to mind!

Old February 23rd 04, 10:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Allison

People have been known to drive around in cars with a laptop looking for
networks. Yes, it does happen. Yes, they should get a life.

--
Mark Allison
SQL Server MVP

Old February 24th 04, 08:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiny Tim

Dave wrote:
IF you have not set encryption keys on the wireless kit, it is very
easy for anyone with a laptop and a wireless card to simply log onto
your network while standing outside your house

The chances of some geek doing that surely is highly unlikely, the
expression 'get a life' comes to mind!

It's not geeky. The first thing I did when I got wireless was to see if I
could sniff out any wireless networks from my house, just for my own
amusement, but none were found. I'm sure many people have done the same. You
don't need geeks in cars, just freeloading or inquisitive neighbours.

Don't settle for WEP or WPA encryption alone. Also...
- Change your network name from default;
- Turn off "SSID broadcast";
- Limit connections to approved MAC addresses;
- Use open key authorisation as this is supposed to be more secure than
shared key.

Then you really will be making work for a hacker.

--
Email address is munged. Please reply to newsgroup.

Old February 24th 04, 11:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

Gareth :-) voom wrote on Monday (23/02/2004) :
Hi Yawl,

We have just put a wireless network in our home to link multiple PC's to
broadband for the kids. I have been informed by a friend that the wirless
network may not be secure as people in the area could access it and use our
connection.

This seems very worrying to me...if someone managed to log on to our
wireless network without use knowing then they could send spam mail or even
worse download child porn and it would originate back to me.

Is this information correct or am I being mislead? If it is correct is there
anything I can do or buy to secure the network?

Cheers.

You could set the system up to use encryption, set the access point to
only allow connections from configured MAC addresses and restrict its
coverage to the minimum necessary for your own area.

Each network card has its own MAC address which it reports to the
access point, which the AP can accept or refuse depending on those
which you have specifically permitted to connect.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)