Can the Netgear DG834G run in dual mode?

Old February 24th 04, 01:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scampi

Default Can the Netgear DG834G run in dual mode?

On the Netgear DG834G ADSL/router - is it possible to run a network on
802.11g and also have one laptop using 802.11b?

My network will run on 802.11g but my mates laptop has a built-in 802.11b
wi-fi card - will it be possible for him to use the network on 802.11b or is
it a case of toggling between the two formats?

Thanks

Old February 24th 04, 01:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Scampi" wrote in message
On the Netgear DG834G ADSL/router - is it possible to run a network on
802.11g and also have one laptop using 802.11b?

My network will run on 802.11g but my mates laptop has a built-in 802.11b
wi-fi card - will it be possible for him to use the network on 802.11b or

is
it a case of toggling between the two formats?

Most routers, including the DG834G have 3 modes:

auto selection (the default)
802.11b only
802.11g only

Therefore, you could leave it on "auto", if you didnt want to change the
mode from "802.11g" only when your friend come around.

The only thing is that if the router detects a 802.11b connection in auto,
all the network will run at 802.11b speeds until the device is no longer
detected.

Regards
Sunil

Old February 24th 04, 01:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scampi

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

"Scampi" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the quick respnse.

You're saying that the router runs on the lowest common denominator. I guess
it makes sense - shame though.