What to expect - convert Midband to ADSL?

Old February 24th 04, 11:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
LiviHam

Default What to expect - convert Midband to ADSL?

Having moved to an area without broadband 7 months ago, I grudgingly setup
with the BT Midband service. We now have a RFS date for the middle of April
and I will be converting to DSL. I am about to contact BT to cancel Midband
(contract states 1 month cancellation) and arrange for the removal of the
digital line equipment, in preparation for the DSL. However, something that
stuck in my mind from when I set up the Midband - the operator stated at the
time that because DSL was not available that if it did become available
within the first year then I could convert FOC - this implies that I have a
contract of greater than 1 month! Perhaps this has something to do with
either the digital line, the Midband service or the BT Together package
(which was necessary to keep costs low). My first choice of ISP for ADSL
will not be BT and I do not wan't to be duped into sticking with them
thinking that I need to do this to avoid paying any hefty cancellation
charges.

Doe anyone have any similar experiences?

LiviHam

Old February 24th 04, 02:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 11:29:34 -0000, "LiviHam"
wrote:

Doe anyone have any similar experiences?

not yet, but ISTR the minimum contract for the highway line is 12
months - the 1 month is the midband service delivered over that line.

BT Broadband will do the conversion for free and swallow any
outstanding contract issues, also BT Yahoo. If you don't want to do
that you can pay 50 for the conversion, buy out remaining contract if
any and go your own way. Your choice.

Phil
Old February 24th 04, 02:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Pearce

"LiviHam" wrote in message
[...]

I just checked the T&C's for bt's midband service, it clearly says
6. Ending this contract

This contract can be ended by:

(a) us giving one months notice to you; or

(b) you giving 7 day's notice to us.

The minimum term for BT Midband Internet service is 1 month.

So it appears you can cancel it with a months notice, and not
be charged. You may be charged for the conversion back
to a pstn line. (The only charge i can see you needing to pay,
if BT dont automatically change it back to pstn)

Andrew

PS the FOC option is normally only if you go with BTYahoo
or BTBroadbnad

Old February 24th 04, 04:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 14:29:23 +0000 (UTC), "Andrew Pearce"
wrote:

The minimum term for BT Midband Internet service is 1 month.

true, however the above is for the BT Midband Internet Access and
scrolling to the bottom reveals "Terms & conditions for the BT Midband
line are the same as the Home Highway Terms and Conditions" which say

" Terms & conditions
Home Highway is available on most exchanges, subject to survey.
Additional installation charges may apply. Minimum contract term is 12
months."
"3. Standard Cancellation Charges apply on cancellation of a standard
or Home Highway line purchased at BT Together Options prices before
expiry of the Minimum Period of Service. "

Phil