Question.

Old February 24th 04, 02:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

Default Question.

I'm often out and about, and have trouble getting access to an SMTP server,
sometimes there just isn't one, and the ports are blocked.

I have an ADSL supplier who has an SMTP server but will not allow relays from
outside its address range for obvious reasons.

The new Draytek 2600G supports VPN, and also "multiNaT"

Would this ADSL router support this functionality?

Could I vpn into my house, and define a ip address on my home network
which maps to my ADSL supplier's smtp server, such that the home IP
address will force my computer to go through the VPN, rather than
try to connect to some odd IP address, (provided I've got my hosts
file correctly defined, of course.)

I can then send Emails through my VPN, and my ADSL supplier wouldn't
know any different?
Old February 24th 04, 02:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Hurrell

"Ian" wrote in message
om...
I'm often out and about, and have trouble getting access to an SMTP

server,
sometimes there just isn't one, and the ports are blocked.

I have an ADSL supplier who has an SMTP server but will not allow relays

from
outside its address range for obvious reasons.

The new Draytek 2600G supports VPN, and also "multiNaT"

Would this ADSL router support this functionality?

Could I vpn into my house, and define a ip address on my home network
which maps to my ADSL supplier's smtp server, such that the home IP
address will force my computer to go through the VPN, rather than
try to connect to some odd IP address, (provided I've got my hosts
file correctly defined, of course.)

I can then send Emails through my VPN, and my ADSL supplier wouldn't
know any different?

I know this isn't the solution that you're looking for, but I use Yahoo's
SMTP sever when I'm on the move (Nildram also don't allow you to use their
SMTP server if you're not on their network). All you'll need to do is sign
up for an email address with http://mail.yahoo.co.uk. Then create a new
profile ("Roaming" or something) in your laptop's mail reader that includes
Yahoo's SMTP server:

smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk

and make sure you define your Yahoo Id and password to use with it. You can
still read from your ISP pop3 account.

I use this no problem at all - mainly when I'm in France. Occasionally I get
a password error or something, but no major problems at all.

James
P.S Make sure you use the Yahoo.CO.UK address rather than the .COM address
as the US servers don't allow relays.

Old February 24th 04, 03:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adie

Ian wrote:

[snip...]

Just grab yourself a (1.99 .co.uk) domain name and a hosting company
that will provide an SMTP server and update the DNS MX records for the
domain name.

I know www.hostinguk.net provide 40-60 megs of mailbox space and are
super quick with excellent uptime. This way you can keep using Outlook
with IMAP or whatever, wherever you are, they also have a handy web
interface.

Actually Their support is fantastic too, real people with answers get
the telephone within seconds. Took me 4 weeks to find a hosting
company like them after several bad experiences with companies that
only have email contact -- and don't ever get past an automated
response especially when your trying to cancel an account.

And NO, I really don't work for them, just happy to support a -very-
good UK based service.
Old February 24th 04, 04:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Hurrell

Why not just use the SMTP server of the ISP you're using for the
mobile connection.
..

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

The clients I visit allow me to use there SMTP servers to internal email
addresses, but none let me mail outside the company and yes I have used my
home ISP's online web mail interface, but it's just too slow...

Old February 24th 04, 04:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Morgoth

"Ian" wrote in message
om...
I'm often out and about, and have trouble getting access to an SMTP server,
sometimes there just isn't one, and the ports are blocked.

I have an ADSL supplier who has an SMTP server but will not allow relays
from
outside its address range for obvious reasons.

The new Draytek 2600G supports VPN, and also "multiNaT"

Would this ADSL router support this functionality?

Could I vpn into my house, and define a ip address on my home network
which maps to my ADSL supplier's smtp server, such that the home IP
address will force my computer to go through the VPN, rather than
try to connect to some odd IP address, (provided I've got my hosts
file correctly defined, of course.)

I can then send Emails through my VPN, and my ADSL supplier wouldn't
know any different?

----------------------------------
make your own smtp server on your laptop and use that to send mail out, or
make it on your bb connection and get the laptop to use that instead of
using the one the ISPS

Myself I use 1and1 for email as then its seperate from your ISP and only
costs a few pounds a month and I share out the 20 email accounts I get to
reduce the costs between my family, well worth the money

Old February 24th 04, 04:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lurch

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 16:31:47 -0000, "James Hurrell"
wrote:

Why not just use the SMTP server of the ISP you're using for the
mobile connection.
..

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

The clients I visit allow me to use there SMTP servers to internal email
addresses, but none let me mail outside the company and yes I have used my
home ISP's online web mail interface, but it's just too slow...

I suppose it depends how much e-mailing you do in these offices as to
how far you want to go. I just use a seperate ISP with a mail account
on a PAYG service for when I'm out and about. Although I only use it
for the mail, I generally connect with GPRS.

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.