Master Socket

Old February 24th 04, 04:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

Default Master Socket

I would like to get BT in to move the master socket into a new
position and have the ADSL / POTS plate fitted. The assumption that
all other existing POTS sockets in the home would not need a filter
when a telephone was plugged in.

What sort of budget should I allow for this work, and do I have to go
to BT?

David Bradley
Old February 24th 04, 04:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

David Bradley wrote:

I would like to get BT in to move the master socket into a new
position and have the ADSL / POTS plate fitted. The assumption that
all other existing POTS sockets in the home would not need a filter
when a telephone was plugged in.

What sort of budget should I allow for this work, and do I have to go
to BT?

David Bradley

How does a budget of 15 quid and ten minutes' DIY effort grab you?

Have a look at http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_bits.htm

If you got the current type of NTE5 master socket with a removeable
faceplate, you can replace it with an ADSL compatible faceplate, as per the
above link. If all your extensions are wired into the back of the new
faceplate, they'll all automatically be filtered without requiring
additional microfilters.

--
Cheers,
Tim

Old February 24th 04, 05:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 16:52:52 -0000, "Tiscali Tim"
wrote:

How does a budget of 15 quid and ten minutes' DIY effort grab you?

that doesn't cover moving BT's master socket though, which is I think
their property and the householder isn't supposed to be playing with
the incoming wires on the back of it - their stuff is on the front.

Phil
Old February 24th 04, 05:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

wrote:

How does a budget of 15 quid and ten minutes' DIY effort grab you?

that doesn't cover moving BT's master socket though, which is I think
their property and the householder isn't supposed to be playing with
the incoming wires on the back of it - their stuff is on the front.

Phil

Oops, you're right - he did! If he *really* wants the master socket moved it
is, indeed, a job for BT.

However, assuming that all the extension wiring is currently connected into
the back of the NTE5, it might be simpler to leave the master where it is,
and simply to transfer the extension wiring to the new faceplate. This would
then require a single digital extension to the computer location - which is
no more work than would be involved in transferring the POTS extension
wiring from one master socket location to another.

Actually, for a few quid extra, he could buy a modified faceplate which
enables the ADSL connection to be wired into the back - which may possibly
enable the digital extension wiring to be hidden.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old February 25th 04, 09:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Broadback

wrote:

[...]

I moved my master socket several years ago, a few months ago I had a
major fault with my telephone line (overhead cable ripped out by passing
crane, no not the bird! :-) ). BT rerouted the cable entry into the
house, I moved their socket (again) to the most convenient point, BT
engineer came into the house and connected up, no problem at all.

Incidently I purchased my bits and pieces from Solwise.co.uk I found
them very efficient and helpfully. It was all very easy to do. Finally
if you have any problems with the wiring go to
http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/wiring_info.htm

Cheers
John

--
Do not reply to the email address. As all replies to this address are
deleted on arrival.
Old February 25th 04, 09:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Broadback wrote:

I moved my master socket several years ago, a few months ago I had a
major fault with my telephone line (overhead cable ripped out by
passing crane, no not the bird! :-) ). BT rerouted the cable entry
into the house, I moved their socket (again) to the most convenient
point, BT engineer came into the house and connected up, no problem
at all.

Incidently I purchased my bits and pieces from Solwise.co.uk I found
them very efficient and helpfully. It was all very easy to do.
Finally if you have any problems with the wiring go to
http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/wiring_info.htm

Cheers
John

It's perfectly *possible* to move your own master socket - but the OP seemed
to be concerned about the legality of the whole thing as well as the
practicality!
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old February 25th 04, 09:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
jazzy jeff

Another option may be to leave the Master where it is and fit a second
Master socket which is connected to the current Master, then run extensions
off this new Master.

Worth considering, but may not be suitable to your needs

Old February 25th 04, 10:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lurch

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 09:48:19 -0000, "jazzy jeff"
wrote:

Another option may be to leave the Master where it is and fit a second
Master socket which is connected to the current Master, then run extensions
off this new Master.

Worth considering, but may not be suitable to your needs

Can't see the benefit of doing that.

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Old February 25th 04, 11:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
jazzy jeff

You can do it yourself without breaking the law. You don't need to mess with
the BT side of the original Master, and the new Master is completely yours
and you can access both halves of it.
See http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/nte5.htm
wrote:

Another option may be to leave the Master where it is and fit a second
Master socket which is connected to the current Master, then run

extensions
off this new Master.

Worth considering, but may not be suitable to your needs

Can't see the benefit of doing that.
..

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

Old February 25th 04, 02:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lurch

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 11:20:01 -0000, "jazzy jeff"
wrote:

You can do it yourself without breaking the law. You don't need to mess with
the BT side of the original Master, and the new Master is completely yours
and you can access both halves of it.
See http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/nte5.htm

Still can't see why this would be better than just running a filtered
and unfiltered line from a modified NTE5 filter.

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.