Migration question

Old February 24th 04, 06:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex

Default Migration question

My 12 month BB contract with Onetel expires shortly. I'd like to sign up
with another provider, possibly for a 1MB service. Whats the best way to do
this with the least downtime? Do I need to cancel Onetel and just start from
scratch or is it possible to migrate easily?

Old February 24th 04, 07:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Smith

not easy to answer as it depends on the two ISP's

in some cases a cease / new activation is quicker

in others a migration is quicker

logically, a migration should always be quicker, one would think , but
speaking from bitter experience, that is not necessarily so

it depends largely on the ISP's attitude to migration as some don't even do
it as it causes so much grief quite often

you need to talk to both ISSP's and then decide which route to go

a migration should be 20 quid or so cheaper than a cease/ new activate

as always, the lengthy time either route takes is down to bt wholesale

ian
"

Old February 24th 04, 08:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support

Hi there,

The way it works with us is that we submit a request to BT saying you want
to move from ISPold to us, they then email ISPold and as long as they accept
the request, email us back advising migration has been accepted, then commit
the changes on the exchange and you move over.

This whole process generally takes about a month with your downtime being a
matter of hours. The cost is 35+vat.

You can only migrate to the same speed/contention as you are currently on.
As John advised, some ISPs do not allow migration away for some reason.

Further information on the migration process with us can be found at the
following URL:

http://www.plus.net/info2/faq/spmigrationfaq.html

regards

Luke

--
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----+

Old February 24th 04, 11:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex

"PlusNet Support" wrote in message
Hi there,

The way it works with us is that we submit a request to BT saying you want
to move from ISPold to us, they then email ISPold and as long as they

accept
the request, email us back advising migration has been accepted, then

commit
the changes on the exchange and you move over.

This whole process generally takes about a month with your downtime being

matter of hours. The cost is 35+vat.

You can only migrate to the same speed/contention as you are currently on.
As John advised, some ISPs do not allow migration away for some reason.

Further information on the migration process with us can be found at the
following URL:

http://www.plus.net/info2/faq/spmigrationfaq.html

regards

Luke

Thanks. Looks like I'm going to have some downtime then if I'm upgrading my
speed. Am I right in thinking though that I won't need to replace my Fujitsu
FDX310 modem?

Old February 25th 04, 12:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Naismith

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 23:19:18 -0000, "Alex"
wrote:

Thanks. Looks like I'm going to have some downtime then if I'm upgrading my
speed. Am I right in thinking though that I won't need to replace my Fujitsu
FDX310 modem?

You can migrate first and then regrade to a higher speed service - no
significant downtime that way but you will have to pay for the
regrade.

The FDX310 will cope fine with any of the current UK ADSL offerings.

--
John Naismith
Old February 25th 04, 01:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kevin

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 19:02:04 -0000, "John Smith" wrote:

it depends largely on the ISP's attitude to migration as some don't even do
it as it causes so much grief quite often

Losing a customer is probably why some don't like it.

Anyone here know if Virgin do migration to another supplier? My
connection with them is down again, has been for several hours and I'm
reduced to using my AOL dialup, slow but never fails me.

Not even reboots have helped get my connection going again, these
sometimes help with Virgin for some reason.

--
Kevin