Is this possible?

Old February 24th 04, 10:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scampi

Default Is this possible?

I currently have broadband with Pipex. Sometimes I visit my parents for a
week at a time and they don't (obviously) have broadband. Is it possible
for me to somehow use my Pipex broadband whilst I'm at my parents house? If
I'm not logged in at home will I be able to log in at my parents house? Are
there any ISP's that provide this service?

Thanks

Old February 24th 04, 10:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
King Queen

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 22:19:41 -0000, "Scampi"
wrote:

I currently have broadband with Pipex. Sometimes I visit my parents for a
week at a time and they don't (obviously) have broadband. Is it possible
for me to somehow use my Pipex broadband whilst I'm at my parents house? If
I'm not logged in at home will I be able to log in at my parents house? Are
there any ISP's that provide this service?

You won't be able to use PIPEX broadband, but if your parents have
broadband you can use their connection to collect your e-mail etc.

Alternatively you can dial up to your broadband account (though
obviously only at max 56k!) Use 08450884162 and your Pipex dialup
username and password (i.e. where ? can be
nothing, 2 or 3)

Cheers
Old February 24th 04, 11:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

I currently have broadband with Pipex. Sometimes I visit my parents for a
week at a time and they don't (obviously) have broadband. Is it possible
for me to somehow use my Pipex broadband whilst I'm at my parents house? If
I'm not logged in at home will I be able to log in at my parents house? Are
there any ISP's that provide this service?

I came across this a while ago and kept it on the HD - not sure if its
still valid... It appears as though you would have to have it activated
first by Pipex as a fault, rather than a roaming connection though

---
http://www.xtreme.pipex.net/adsl/services/dial-backup/

In the unlikely event that:
You have to call PIPEX to report a fault with your ADSL service,
or...
BT inform us of a fault that has occurred at your local exchange
which affects your ADSL service, or...
BT inform us about maintenance work planned that could disrupt
your service...
PIPEX are pleased to offer an analogue dial-up service which you can use
completely free of charge while the fault is investigated and resolved.

To use the service you will need a standard analogue dial-up modem
connected to the same line you use for ADSL (via a micro-filter, if you
are using a self-install ADSL service). Set up a dial-up connection from
your computer as shown on the PIPEX Dial Support pages, but using the
special Point of Presence telephone number 1470 0808 991 6035 rather than
any of those listed on those pages.

Your login name and password should be exactly as set up for your ADSL
connection (your username should be in the format:
or ). All other details (eg
mail-server names and logins, etc) all remain exactly the same as used
for your ADSL connection.

Access to the dial-up service will normally be automatically enabled no
more than 90 minutes after your fault has been escalated to BT, or after
BT notify us of an exchange fault. After this, all use of this dial-up
service is free and all Internet calls made to the special 0808 number
are free. Please note, however, that PIPEX cannot guarantee that the
service will be always be available to you, that use of the service is
restricted to the line used for your ADSL service and that your IP
address will be different to that used on your ADSL service, and will
always be dynamically allocated.

Once connected you might find the following particularly useful:

ETracker - enables you to check the status of any fault that
you're experiencing and...
http://www.xtreme.pipex.net/etracker/
NetMail - which you can use to monitor your PIPEX ADSL mailbox and
reply to messages, all via the Web.
https://netmail.pipex.net/adsl/

If you need help to set up a connection to use this dial-up service, have
any questions or would like to make a comment about the service please
contact PIPEX Customer Support on the usual number: 0845 077 8324.
---

Old February 25th 04, 02:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Crowther

In message , Scampi
writes:

I currently have broadband with Pipex. Sometimes I visit my parents for a
week at a time and they don't (obviously) have broadband. Is it possible
for me to somehow use my Pipex broadband whilst I'm at my parents house? If
I'm not logged in at home will I be able to log in at my parents house? Are
there any ISP's that provide this service?

You won't be able to use your BB service, but choose the right ISP and
you may have a dial-up service included gratis. Normally this will
'take-over' the BB service (so your home stuff will lose connection, if
left on) but all should be restored when you drop the dial-up.

I have no clue if Pipex offer this, I do know that Demon don't, I do
know that AAISP do. Guess who I use for ADSL.

--
Jim Crowther "It's MY computer" (tm SMG)
Avoid more malware by ignoring previous Usenet addresses,
Old February 25th 04, 10:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
jsp21c

Perhaps something to consider for the future is to have your parents
connected to ADSL and get them some IP phones to use. This will probably be
cheaper than their current phone bill & you will have ADSL for your PC when
visiting.
Old February 25th 04, 08:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rupert

Is this possible? http://tinyurl.com/3eqgy