Community Project

Old February 25th 04, 07:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
murph

Default Community Project

Hi
Does anybody know if it is technically possible to deliver broadband to an
area which is not in an exchange area as follows :
My client is in a village which sits about 1km too far from the nearest
(enabled) exchange.
Within the village are a group of nearly 100 people who are desparate for
the service, cost may not be a major issue (within reason).
I was wondering if somehow high speed data could be delivered via a private
circuit or similar with the right kit on the end ?
Satellite is out because they need secure vpn tunnels which can't be
achieved with that latency.

Any ideas welcomed
Murph

Old February 25th 04, 08:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
murph wrote:
Hi
Does anybody know if it is technically possible to deliver broadband to an
area which is not in an exchange area as follows :

Yes, it's technically possible. I'm doing it in several communities
right now.

My client is in a village which sits about 1km too far from the nearest
(enabled) exchange.
Within the village are a group of nearly 100 people who are desparate for
the service, cost may not be a major issue (within reason).
I was wondering if somehow high speed data could be delivered via a private
circuit or similar with the right kit on the end ?
Satellite is out because they need secure vpn tunnels which can't be
achieved with that latency.

You can do it with leased line - BT can supply a point to point line
but they charge for it! Up to 1Mb is "reasonable" 2Mb they like to do
on fibre and is quite unreasonable IMO (3.5K each end install to start
with) And then you have to somehow connect it to the Internet, either via
an ISP, or via someone who already has a good (A)DSL connection closer
to the exchange. Some ISP might frown on this though, some might not
care.

You can do it via wireless, and there is some nice outdoor kit avalable,
but unless you want to spend a lot of money, you really do need
line of sight.

Even with a leased line, you still have problems with "last mile" delivery
ie. how you get it from the end of the pipe into the peoples homes. (Other
that the place you terminate the connection in, obviously) You might be
able to do it as a true community project, and get everyone to install
their own kit, but make sure you get everyones money up-front! You would
be looking at a bit over 100 for each end-user plus money to someone
to put the kit onto their roof and run cabling, etc. into their houses,
(Eg. local Sky or burglar alarm, TV aerial fitters, etc.) then you need
co-operative people at each end of the long link to site the equipment
on, and maybe 2 or 3 nodes in the community to provide service from.

And just one punter running peer to peer will kill the link for everyone
else..

Email me privately if you want to chat about some of the work I've done
with WiFi, but it's not going to be easy...

Gordon