how long to wait for activation-date ?

Old February 25th 04, 08:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike

Default how long to wait for activation-date ?

My ISP acknowledged my order for a 2mbps broadband service
(the wholesaler is BT, and I have a BT phone line).

BT confirms that my number should be able to
sustain this throughput, it being less than 3km from
the local exchange which is already broadband enabled.

My ISP acknowledged the order on February-6th.

But so far, no activation date.

The ISP gave zero indication about how long I may have
to wait. The ISP just emailed to say "we will let you
know". I am not sure if I can trust that ISP - no
previous experience with them.

How long should I wait for an activation date?

Is there a reliable public source of this information per BT-exchange?

Could there be some prioritisation specific to the ISP depending
on its relationship with the wholesaler?
Old February 25th 04, 08:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hiram Hackenbacker

On 25 Feb 2004 00:28:47 -0800, (Mike) wrote:

The ISP just emailed to say "we will let you
know". I am not sure if I can trust that ISP - no
previous experience with them.

Which ISP?

--
Hiram Hackenbacker
Old February 25th 04, 10:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Smith

See other threads

Your ISP is tied to the whim of BT Wholesale and many, like the charming
hysterical Nicole of Nildram, (see earlier) are afraid or unwilling to 'rock
the boat' by chasing up BT Wholesale re all this

Your ISP may well be crap also, but certainly the current arrangement
whereby BT Wholesale will not even talk to you or I is simply appalling

Just like enabling the exchanges for BB, I do not believe that this cease /
new activation activation / migration etc is such a big deal as BT
Wholesale makes out

It is hardly rocket science now is it ?

It is time something is done

IKG

Old February 25th 04, 12:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hiram Hackenbacker

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 10:56:59 -0000, "John Smith" wrote:

Your ISP may well be crap also, but certainly the current arrangement
whereby BT Wholesale will not even talk to you or I is simply appalling

No, it is a necessary way to handle broadband in the UK. I see
nothing wrong with it - and I rely upon my ISP to handle the matter.

Fortunately my ISP does a good job.

--
Hiram Hackenbacker
Old February 25th 04, 02:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Smith

i would agree

if the ISP's 'do a good job' then we could just let them get on with it and
progress things with BT Wholesales as and when the need arises

unfortunately many ISP's do NOT do a good job of this, it seems, and i have
told by more than one ISP that they are scarred to upset BT Wholesale

i think this is pants as BT Wholesale clearly DO need a kick up the arse
now and then!

ain

Old February 25th 04, 02:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Smith

sorry that's: 'let the isps progress things with bt wholesale'

ikg

Old February 25th 04, 04:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth Edmondson

"Mike" wrote in message
om...

How long should I wait for an activation date?

Is there a reliable public source of this information per BT-exchange?

Could there be some prioritisation specific to the ISP depending
on its relationship with the wholesaler?

Well, I helped a friend sort out an order for a Force9 ADSL account on
Monday - by Tuesday afternoon we had an estimated exchange activation date
(3nd march) and time (after 12).

Based on my experience from when I signed up, it was completed on the day
they said.

So from experience, I would assume you could get an activation date within
24-48 hours of placing the order.

Best wishes

Gareth Edmondson

Old February 26th 04, 07:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike

"Gareth Edmondson" wrote in message .. .

So from experience, I would assume you could get an activation date within
24-48 hours of placing the order.

Thanks for that information.

I would like to know if that is a common experience for BT-resellers.

The ISP (Silvermead) acknowledged my order on Feb-6th
by email, but at todays date almost *three weeks* later, I still await
an activation date.

I looked at other threads and found the link:

https://www.cs-server1.bt.com/hhway-...UM=...&TELNUM=...

(replace the first ... by your BT customer account number
and the second ... by your full telephone number)

However, it is unclear whether this link is valid for use with
resellers of the BT-wholesale product. Or is the link useful
only when ordering the product from BT directly via one of
their retail offerings?

When I use the link above( adjusted for my
details it shows no orders to track.
Old February 26th 04, 10:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JJJ

I ordered 2MB adsl from Fast24 on Monday, and the BT link mentioned showed
the order by the Wednesday.

so it looks like there might be a problem between your ISP and BT.

--
---
.. .