BeWAN ADSL PCI MODEM

Old February 25th 04, 02:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim Martin

Default BeWAN ADSL PCI MODEM

I have recently connected to the internet via demon broadband using a
bewan modem. My connection seems to drop frequently, sometimes only
staying connected for 2 hours and never more than 10 hours or so. The
modem drops because of persistent errors, when I look at the error
logging I always have cyclic redundancy check errors and cell header
error checks. Can anybody please explain these in plain English and what
I can do (if anything) to reduce them. I have emailed bewan but only
received a reply in French.
Thanks
--
Tim Martin

Old February 25th 04, 03:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
F F Skitty

"Tim Martin" wrote in message
. ..

I have recently connected to the internet via demon broadband using a
bewan modem. My connection seems to drop frequently, sometimes only
staying connected for 2 hours and never more than 10 hours or so. The
modem drops because of persistent errors, when I look at the error
logging I always have cyclic redundancy check errors and cell header
error checks. Can anybody please explain these in plain English and what
I can do (if anything) to reduce them. I have emailed bewan but only
received a reply in French.
Thanks
--
Tim Martin

Maybe download their latest drivers from their web-site?

http://www.bewan.com/bewan/users/downloads/index.php

I've been using the same BeWAN modem on a P4 XP machine for months with no
probs whatsoever... Stays connected for days, when I want it to.

(Personally, I'd also check for physical problems/wobbles with the
line/connections/cabling/plugs/sockets/modem not pushed right down... Don't
laugh, I had that happen with a LAN card, which connected and disconnected
apparently randomly and that messed up all sorts of things and gave all
sorts of error readouts until it got a good scrunch down...)

Old February 25th 04, 04:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim Martin

In message , Ian Stirling
writes
Tim Martin wrote:

I have recently connected to the internet via demon broadband using a
bewan modem. My connection seems to drop frequently, sometimes only
staying connected for 2 hours and never more than 10 hours or so. The
modem drops because of persistent errors, when I look at the error
logging I always have cyclic redundancy check errors and cell header
error checks. Can anybody please explain these in plain English and what
I can do (if anything) to reduce them. I have emailed bewan but only
received a reply in French.

What does the modem say about signal-noise, and line-loss (dB) figures?

Downstream noise margin 21.5, upstream 24
downstream attenuation 57.5, up 31.5.

Are those what you mean?

--
Tim Martin