Help with Linksys router and Windows Small Business Server 2003

Old February 26th 04, 12:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,uk.telecom.broadband
Evan Joanette

Default Help with Linksys router and Windows Small Business Server 2003

Sorry for the crossposting. I've been waiting hours for Google to show my
post at ....windows.server.sbs (a group my ISP doesn't serve). You guys are
my last hope.

At work, we've recently connected a Linksys WAG54G modem/router to our 26
port hub. Our Windows 2003 SBS was already connected to this hub, serving
up our work software in a shared folder. Clients log onto the server thru a
domain. All clients have dynamic IP's (with long, long leases).

Unfortunately, after running the SBS Internet Connection Wizard and
inputting the router's IP and ISP's DNS, our clients are still unable to
connect to the WWW. The only way to get clients online is to configure them
individually to use the router's IP as their gateway and to manually input
the ISP's DNS. Apparently this is not the proper way to do it. Microsoft's
help says all clients should point normally to the server and the server
should connect them to the internet providing router.

FYI, the router's DHCP function is turned off, and the router has been
assigned an IP in the SBS's subnet. Also, the SBS is connected to the hub
via a gigabit cable. I can ping the router from SBS, and vice versa.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Evan Joanette

Old February 26th 04, 01:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,uk.telecom.broadband
Marina Roos [SBS-MVP]

You should be using 2 nics in the server. The 2nd nic will connect to your
router.
Put that 2nd nic in a different IP-range, let DNS point to your server-IP
only, check the bindingorder and make sure the internal nic is on top. Rerun
the CEICW-wizard.
Do you have Premium or Standard?
If you can't get to the microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs newsgroup, try
the microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000 newsgroup.

--
Regards,

Marina
Microsoft SBS-MVP

"Evan Joanette" schreef in bericht

Old February 26th 04, 07:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,uk.telecom.broadband
Evan Joanette

"Marina Roos [SBS-MVP]" wrote in message
You should be using 2 nics in the server. The 2nd nic will connect to your
router. Put that 2nd nic in a different IP-range, let DNS point to your

server-IP
only, check the bindingorder and make sure the internal nic is on top.

Rerun
the CEICW-wizard.

There is much talk on MS's site about the two network card setup, but they
insist it will work with one card!?

So the second network card in the server would be configured like any other
computer would to find the router?

Our SBS is standard I think.

As for the newsgroups, my ISP hosts very few of them. The best ones for my
prob are only available thru Google, but replies take AGES.

Evan

Old February 26th 04, 08:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,uk.telecom.broadband
Clint Sharp

In message , Evan
Joanette writes
There is much talk on MS's site about the two network card setup, but they
insist it will work with one card!?

It will, but two cards are better, there's no possibility of your users
bypassing your access rules by connecting directly to the router, you
then have one central management console you can use to control all
users access to the net.

So the second network card in the server would be configured like any other
computer would to find the router?

Nope, you need to read the knowledgebase articles to configure it, they
explain what you needed to configure on the server as well as the
obvious. It's a doddle if you follow the steps in the articles. Beware
of Internet Connection Wizards offering easy solutions, there's more to
it than that.

Our SBS is standard I think.

Evan

--
Clint Sharp
Old February 26th 04, 06:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,uk.telecom.broadband
Evan Joanette

Clint,

I will be wary of the ICW...I think it led me astray, maybe you can tell me
for sure.

I opened up our SBS DHCP utility. It listed only the server's own IP as the
only DNS server. On a whim, I thought I'd put in the ISP provided DNS as a
secondary server. Lo and behold, all clients now have internet access. I
presume the ICW should have set these numbers up or have I done something
that I shouldn't have?

You're right about any of the users getting to the router. Fortunately, it
has a password. I'll have to keep chatting with the IT manager to see what
we think is the best solution. We're now online with only one network card,
and the router provides good firewall and ability to limit internet access.

Our next big challenge is dumping our freeware mail relay program and
getting MS Exchange running.

Evan

"Clint Sharp" wrote in message
In message , Evan
Joanette writes

Old February 26th 04, 08:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,uk.telecom.broadband
Marina Roos [SBS-MVP]

Hi Evan,

2 nics is really recommended. Set it up like this:
Internal:
IP: 192.168.16.2
GW: blank
DNS: 192.168.16.2

External:
IP: 10.0.0.2
GW: 10.0.0.3
DNS 192.168.16.2

In DNS-server, it should only listen to the 192.168.16.2 and the
ISP-DNS-numbers should be set in the tab Forwarders.
Check bindingorder and make sure the internal nic is on top.
Checkout www.smallbizserver.net.

Old February 28th 04, 10:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,uk.telecom.broadband
Evan Joanette

I've taken your advice and installed a second nic.

Our clients can navigate the WWW, but only if Internet Explorer is set to
use a proxy server.

Also, email and newsgroups aren't working. I'm wondering if any ports have
to be opened?

Old February 29th 04, 01:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,uk.telecom.broadband
Marina Roos [SBS-MVP]

Do you have the Standard or Premium version? If the last one and ISA is
installed, make sure the clients have the Firewall Client installed.
And yes, IE settings should point to the servername or -IP and port 8080 for
proxy.

--
Regards,

Marina
Microsoft SBS-MVP

"Evan Joanette" schreef in bericht
I've taken your advice and installed a second nic.

Our clients can navigate the WWW, but only if Internet Explorer is set to
use a proxy server.

Also, email and newsgroups aren't working. I'm wondering if any ports have
to be opened?

"Marina Roos [SBS-MVP]" wrote in

message