Extension question

Old February 26th 04, 06:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pollux

Default Extension question

I've read through a posts regards extensions and ADSL, but I'm not sure
they apply to me, so here is my question.

I'm about to move to a new house and decided to ditch cable for ADSL.
The new house has a master socket downstairs. In that socket is plugged
another extension that is used by Sky. On top of the plug of that
extension is another extension that goes upstairs and finishes into a
socket where the DSL Router would be. Am I wrong in assuming that this
won't work?

Thanks
Old February 26th 04, 09:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lurch

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 17:25:19 -0000, Pollux wrote:

I've read through a posts regards extensions and ADSL, but I'm not sure
they apply to me, so here is my question.

I'm about to move to a new house and decided to ditch cable for ADSL.
The new house has a master socket downstairs. In that socket is plugged
another extension that is used by Sky. On top of the plug of that
extension is another extension that goes upstairs and finishes into a
socket where the DSL Router would be. Am I wrong in assuming that this
won't work?

No it won't. The extension needs an unfiltered signal, if you plug in
a microfilter downstairs the extention wiring will only plug into the
filtered side, thus meaning the upstairs socket will be unsuitable for
ADSL, (i.e. being filtered). You need to hardwire the extension into
the back off the master socket. Depending on what type of cable the
extension is wired in depends how tricky this can be.

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Old February 27th 04, 12:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sparks

"Pollux" wrote in message
I've read through a posts regards extensions and ADSL, but I'm not sure
they apply to me, so here is my question.

I'm about to move to a new house and decided to ditch cable for ADSL.
The new house has a master socket downstairs. In that socket is plugged
another extension that is used by Sky. On top of the plug of that
extension is another extension that goes upstairs and finishes into a
socket where the DSL Router would be. Am I wrong in assuming that this
won't work?

Thanks

You will need to unplug the extention that goes upstairs
unplug the extantion that goes to the sky box
plug in extantion that goes upstairs (Assuming it has a piggy back
connector, if not get a splitter)
plug in microfilter
plug in sky extantion into microfilter
plug in another microfilter updairs

or just install a mictofilter upstairs and the sky box end of the sky box
extention
(assuming the cable doesn't go from the master socket directly into the back
of the sky box!)

Sparks...