Can't see wireless laptop ?

Old February 26th 04, 06:08 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.wireless
I_N

Default Can't see wireless laptop ?

Hi

I have a new Linksys WAG54G-UK ADSL 54g router
In my laptop I have a Origo 11mbps wireless card

The laptop can see there is a wireless network and says connected

On the Linksys router I can see:
local IP of router = 192.168.1.1
Subnet = 255.255.255.0
DHCP server = enabled

PC says ip = 192.168.1.100
subnet = 255.255.255.0
gateway = 192.168.1.1

Laptop says ip = 169.254.231.8
subnet = 255.255.0.0
gateway =

Router's "DHCP table" shows the PC 192.168.1.100
and "Wireless connections" as Laptop 192.168.1.101
(which is different to what the laptop thinks it is!?)

I cang ping the router 192.168.1.1 from the PC but not the laptop
but can't ping each other

I tried adding a default gateway of the router's address
then I could ping the router from the laptop

I tried fixing the Laptop's ip address and subnet to what the router thought
it was 192.168.1.101 and 255.255.255.0
still can't ping each other?

I am missing something obvious I guess

Please help

Ian

Old February 26th 04, 06:40 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.wireless
Nig

I_N wrote:
Hi

I have a new Linksys WAG54G-UK ADSL 54g router
In my laptop I have a Origo 11mbps wireless card

The laptop can see there is a wireless network and says connected

On the Linksys router I can see:
local IP of router = 192.168.1.1
Subnet = 255.255.255.0
DHCP server = enabled

PC says ip = 192.168.1.100
subnet = 255.255.255.0
gateway = 192.168.1.1

Laptop says ip = 169.254.231.8
subnet = 255.255.0.0
gateway =

You are seeing this address because that PC cannot reach a dhcp server.

Router's "DHCP table" shows the PC 192.168.1.100
and "Wireless connections" as Laptop 192.168.1.101
(which is different to what the laptop thinks it is!?)

So the router thinks it has leased an address to the lappy? Do you have
a firewall running on the PC - it could be blocking the dhcp replies
from the router.
Old February 26th 04, 06:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.wireless
I_N

If I connect laptop via wire to router then router table sees both and
laptop picks up ip address 192.168.1.102 subnet 255.255.255.0 gateway
192.168.1.1

but

can ping router from either pc

can ping laptop from home pc
but NOT ping home pc from laptop???

will check firewall now...

I.N

Old February 26th 04, 06:56 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.wireless
I_N

firewall was stopping wired pings

but when unplugged and wirless plugged in
wireless can't see DHCP server!

Old February 26th 04, 07:43 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.wireless
Tom, G4BKF

Try going to "Internet Connections" on your laptop
Right click on your wireless connection
click on "Repair"

This is assuming that your TCP settings are set up to "Obtain an IP address
automatically" and "Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically" and that you
have disabled any firewall on your laptop - you can set it up again later

Old February 26th 04, 07:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.wireless
ALEC

sorry if i am missing the point..but if using xp try...

in network connections click on your wireless connection..click advanced
tab..then advanced settings.. look in adaptors and bindings at your
connection and make sure the ipx/spx is not bound to your connection....
you want just just tcpip........

took me weeks to find this with similar symptoms to yours.. hope it helps if
not ...sorry for wasting your time.... alec

Old February 26th 04, 07:54 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.wireless
I_N

I believe the settings and firewalls are o.k. as it works when I connect via
hard-wire to router.

Repair failed
also when I do ipconfig /renew
fails saying
"An error occurred while renewing interface Wireless Network Connection 2 :
unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out."

(remember works for cat5 connection)

rest seems to work
if i open wirless cardbus screens up :
says under "network status"
IP: 169.254.231.8
Subnet : 255.255.0.0
gateway : 192.168.1.1 (set manually by me, was blank before)
DHCP: 255.255.255.255

none of these settings on this page can be changed

??

Old February 26th 04, 07:57 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.wireless
Tom, G4BKF

try ipconfig /release
then
ipconfig /flushdns
then re-boot

:

Old February 26th 04, 08:01 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.wireless
I_N

Hi Alec

When I open up wirless network connection - I get
General and Advanced

General shows:
Connect using : Am1772(tm) Wireless LAN Chipset
Configure...
This Connection uses the following items:
Client for Microsoft Networks
File and Printer sharing...
QoS Packet Scheduler
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
and then properties... for each

Advanced Shows:
Internet Connection Firewall
Interenet Connection Sharing
Settings... (grayed out)

Where's the ipx/spx stuff - think I'm being blind

thanks again

Ian

Old February 26th 04, 08:22 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.wireless
I_N

Still not working I'm afraid

Have reinstalled untilities

Can't see DHCP server when on wirleless