Efficient Networks 5861 Router Problem

Old February 26th 04, 09:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JC Morrice

Default Efficient Networks 5861 Router Problem

Could any kind soul please help?

I am being plagued by my 5861 losing connection every few minutes.
Symptoms are the link light goes orange and routing hangs for a minute
or so until it deigns to go green again. During this time I can ping
away quite happily at the DOS level to the 5861, no probs. The DOS ping
to the WAN is lost.

Product Description Efficient 5861 DMT Router (5861-001/2)
Hardware Description Revision: 47-10
Software Version v5.3.140

Win 98SE
3Com EtherLink III ISA 3c509b Card
or
Realtek RTL 8139/810x

John
--
JC Morrice

Old February 27th 04, 07:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 21:06:23 +0000, JC Morrice
wrote:

Could any kind soul please help?

I am being plagued by my 5861 losing connection every few minutes.
Symptoms are the link light goes orange and routing hangs for a minute
or so until it deigns to go green again. During this time I can ping
away quite happily at the DOS level to the 5861, no probs. The DOS ping
to the WAN is lost.

Product Description Efficient 5861 DMT Router (5861-001/2)
Hardware Description Revision: 47-10
Software Version v5.3.140

Win 98SE
3Com EtherLink III ISA 3c509b Card
or
Realtek RTL 8139/810x

John

Hi John,

If the router's losing sync with the exchange then this generally caused
by something physical on the line or a problem with the line itself.

Try connecting the router into the master socket through 1 filter with no
other devices (phones, fax, Sky, analogue modem, caller ID unit, alarm,
etc.) connected to the line. Try swapping the filters over if that makes
no difference, and if you can try a different router or modem I'd give
that a try as well.

If you still have no joy I'd recommend reporting it to your ISP as an
intermittant sync fault and they'll be able to run some remote testing to
try and locate the cause of the problem.

--
Regards,

Old February 27th 04, 02:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
jazzy jeff

Might also consider the power supply on these things are a bit unreliable
and sometimes cause line sync loss. Could be a sign that your power supply
is on it's way out. Google for a place to buy a replacement if you think
this is the problem.

Old February 27th 04, 04:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JC Morrice

In article , PlusNet Support Team
writes

If the router's losing sync with the exchange then this generally caused by
something physical on the line or a problem with the line itself.

Thanks Dave.

I *was* wondering if it was nasty MTU's and thingys down that line of
attack. I do have a TAD fax and a BT Studio walkabout plugged into the
same filter as this machine. I will isolate for a couple of hours and
try that, thanks.

Also of interest is that this exchange has only been enabled in the last
few weeks. I wonder if this particular implementation had any bugs in
the doing of it? Might be worth giving BT a ring. It *can't* be line
loss, Shirley, I only live 75 yards from the nice new, modern exchange.

John
--
JC Morrice

Old February 27th 04, 05:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JC Morrice

In article , jazzy jeff
writes

Might also consider the power supply on these things are a bit unreliable
and sometimes cause line sync loss. Could be a sign that your power supply
is on it's way out. Google for a place to buy a replacement if you think
this is the problem.

Thanks Jeff

http://www.uk-bug.net/modules.php?op...&file=index&re
q=printpage&artid=16&POSTNUKESID=ba9c86a83cf3544e0 37b988aac058925

It's got one!

John
--
JC Morrice

Old February 27th 04, 05:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mr Rie

"JC Morrice" wrote in message

Could any kind soul please help?

I am being plagued by my 5861 losing connection every few minutes.
Symptoms are the link light goes orange and routing hangs for a minute
or so until it deigns to go green again. During this time I can ping
away quite happily at the DOS level to the 5861, no probs. The DOS ping
to the WAN is lost.

Product Description Efficient 5861 DMT Router (5861-001/2)
Hardware Description Revision: 47-10
Software Version v5.3.140

Win 98SE
3Com EtherLink III ISA 3c509b Card
or
Realtek RTL 8139/810x

John
--
JC Morrice

The PSU can be bought from
http://www.amperor.co.uk for 25 inc vat, unsure
if it includes postage.

What software are you running behind the router?

If you are running any P2P progs like ed2k/emule, then you may have too many
connections open. This ground my EN5861 to a halt with sympotoms similar to
yours.
Even with my Zyxel 652, p2p progs can cause this problem, the solution was
to limit the number of connection to about 50, but this will depend on the
number of clients in the network. The PSU blowing up was due to a power
surge in my house.

Mr Rie

Old February 27th 04, 06:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JC Morrice

In article , Mr Rie
writes

The PSU can be bought from http://www.amperor.co.uk for 25 inc vat, unsure
if it includes postage.

Fitted

What software are you running behind the router?

Win98SE, Netscape 7.1 & Zone Alarm.

If you are running any P2P progs like ed2k/emule, then you may have too many
connections open. This ground my EN5861 to a halt with sympotoms similar to
yours.

Nope. Kept dead simple.

The PSU blowing up was due to a power
surge in my house.

Thanks Mr Rie

John
--
JC Morrice

Old February 27th 04, 07:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Might also consider the power supply on these things are a bit unreliable
and sometimes cause line sync loss

I know someone on Telewest and the PSU was the cause of their problems

Old February 27th 04, 09:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JC Morrice

In article , Colin
Wilson writes

Might also consider the power supply on these things are a bit unreliable
and sometimes cause line sync loss

I know someone on Telewest and the PSU was the cause of their problems

Thanks Collin
Food for thought there!
John
--