What is the difference between a multi-port ASDL modem/router and one with a 4 port hub?

Old February 26th 04, 11:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim Lyons

Default What is the difference between a multi-port ASDL modem/router and one with a 4 port hub?

Is there any significance in the mention of a hub? Will a multi-port
modem/router be able to pass traffic from port 1 to port 2, as well as from
port 1 to the modem, and port 2 to the modem?

Would there be any restrictions on the kind of traffic that could be passed
betweeen the ports? Would it have to be to particular TCP/IP addresses etc?
Would there be a difference in the support for different speeds?

The Solwise ADSL SAR-BIG304TA looks a fantastic bargain, but doesn't
mention that it has a hub, unlike the more expensive SAR715+, so what would
I not get with the chreaper box?

(The device I intend to plug into port 2 only does 10BaseT, but I would be
entirely happy with the whole network running at that speed, I don't need
speed buffering).

Thanks,

Tim Lyons
Old February 27th 04, 12:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim Lyons

In article ,
wrote:

In article , Tim Lyons
wrote:
Is there any significance in the mention of a hub? Will a multi-port
modem/router be able to pass traffic from port 1 to port 2, as well as from
port 1 to the modem, and port 2 to the modem?

Yes it will. Just the same as if you bought a single port modem and a
separate hub and plugged them together. It's just the two devices in one box.
In fact, the hub portion of the device will work whether the ADSL modem
portion is connected or not, so you can set up your local network before ADSL
is activated on your phone line.

Excellent

Would there be any restrictions on the kind of traffic that could be passed
betweeen the ports? Would it have to be to particular TCP/IP addresses etc?
Would there be a difference in the support for different speeds?

I don't know what type of restriction you're thinking of. Every device on
your network would have to have a unique TCP/IP address, usually in the
192.168.x.x range. You can allocate these manually or have the router
allocate them automatically using DHCP. Most hubs/switches these days,
whether standalone boxes or incorporated with modem/routers, are dual-speed
and will switch automatically

I'm thinking of Appletalk over ethernet, which I believe may not use
TCP/IP, I think it uses the lower level protocols, so does not have a
TCP/IP address. (I am currently using such a connection toa printer over
ethernet, and there is no sign of a TCP/IP address needing to be input, and
I don't beleive it is getting it from any DHPC server cos there isn't one)

The Solwise ADSL SAR-BIG304TA looks a fantastic bargain, but doesn't
mention that it has a hub, unlike the more expensive SAR715+, so what would
I not get with the chreaper box?

I don't know this unit, but I guess you wouldn't get a hub, if that's the
thing that isn't mentioned in the spec. i.e. it would probably have one
ethernet port, and the more expensive one would have four.

The description definately says it has 4 ports, but definately does not
mention that it is (or incorporates) a hub (not even in the user manual
which is available on-line) hence the question!

thanks Rod.

Rod.

Old February 27th 04, 12:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Howlett

Tim Lyons wrote:
In article ,
wrote:

snip

[...]

That will work just fine thru the switch part of the router.

The Solwise ADSL SAR-BIG304TA looks a fantastic bargain, but doesn't
mention that it has a hub, unlike the more expensive SAR715+, so what would
I not get with the chreaper box?

I don't know this unit, but I guess you wouldn't get a hub, if that's the
thing that isn't mentioned in the spec. i.e. it would probably have one
ethernet port, and the more expensive one would have four.

The description definately says it has 4 ports, but definately does not
mention that it is (or incorporates) a hub (not even in the user manual
which is available on-line) hence the question!

The fact that is says 4 ports means it has 4 LAN ports. Further up the page on
Solwise's site it mentions 4 port switch. They just haven't worded it very
well/consistently against the blurb for the item itself. You will be able to
connect 4 pieces of equipment together and they will all be able to share your
ADSL.

--
Richard Howlett

Mail to "newsgroups" will be rejected.
Mail to my forename will not.

Old February 27th 04, 07:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

In article , Tim Lyons wrote:
I don't know what type of restriction you're thinking of. Every device on
your network would have to have a unique TCP/IP address, usually in the
192.168.x.x range. You can allocate these manually or have the router
allocate them automatically using DHCP. Most hubs/switches these days,
whether standalone boxes or incorporated with modem/routers, are dual-speed
and will switch automatically

I'm thinking of Appletalk over ethernet, which I believe may not use
TCP/IP, I think it uses the lower level protocols, so does not have a
TCP/IP address. (I am currently using such a connection toa printer over
ethernet, and there is no sign of a TCP/IP address needing to be input, and
I don't beleive it is getting it from any DHPC server cos there isn't one)

There will be a DHCP server - the router, if you choose to enable this function.
I have no experience with Appletalk, but if it functions over an ethernet local
network, then it should work over the network formed by plugging your computers
into the ethernet ports on a modem/router.

The description definately says it has 4 ports, but definately does not
mention that it is (or incorporates) a hub (not even in the user manual
which is available on-line) hence the question!

If it has 4 ports, then it incorporates a hub (or a switch, which is
functionally the same thing but better).

Rod.