help with disappointingly slow broadband connection

Old February 27th 04, 12:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Daisy

Default help with disappointingly slow broadband connection

Hi

Broadband novice here.

I have just subscribed to broadband (Tiscali 512kps) and set everything up
with no problems...using a Sagem 800 modem (supplied free by Tiscali) with
my Compaq Presario laptop.

My only problem is that the connection speed is much slower than I expected,
especially after 6pm, but just generally not the high speed link I had been
led to expect.

I've hunted round on the net for some help...ran a Speed test, then
installed Dr TCP, then ran another speed test. The results were an
improvement but at 120kps (downstream) and 107 kps (upstream) this is still
a slow connection (or so the Speed test results tell me). At times it makes
my old dial up connection look lightning quick.

My question is therefore what can I do to make broadband work faster? Do I
need to buy a modem rather than just use the free Sagem...would this make a
significant difference? Is there anything else I should do?

Thanks for any help

Daisy

Old February 27th 04, 01:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Reboot

I have just subscribed to broadband (Tiscali 512kps)

Hi Daisy,
That one sentence sums up your problem, it is probable that Tiscali are
capping your bandwidth, move to a different provider as soon as you can,
this newsgroup will gladly recommend good isp's to you. I can personally
recommend Nildram and Central Point.
Cheers

Old February 27th 04, 01:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dan

Maybe tiscali have put you on the wrong tariff? As they have 150kb, 250kb
connections. My friend is on Tiscali and he sees 60k pretty much all the
time. It took them 3 months to enable his line for some reason though,
blaming it on bt, then bt blaming it on Tiscali. It's all rather funny when
your not the one being messed around.

Dan

Old February 27th 04, 01:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul King

"Daisy" wrote in message
Hi

Broadband novice here.

I have just subscribed to broadband (Tiscali 512kps) and

Sounds to me like you're on the Tiscali (strangled) 150kbps tariff!

How much are you paying? If its 15.99 per month (or thereabouts) you *ARE!*

--

Replace the dots and remove nospam for valid email address

Old February 27th 04, 08:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Daisy

I'm paying the full 27.....definitely not good value for money at the
moment.

I sent tiscali tech support an e mail about this too, but five days later
still no answer....or even acknowledgement. Think I've subscribed to a
turkey. Ah well only 11 months and 2 weeks left to go...