Smtp and news servers temporary solution?

Old February 27th 04, 12:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
FJDx

Default Smtp and news servers temporary solution?

Coming from Freeserve Anytime, I have just installed my BT Broadband modem
today. In the past I have had two main addresses I use through Outlook with
the SMTP's being smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk for my Yahoo account and
sendmail.xxx.com for my NetIdentity address (xxx was my chosen domain
name). When I tried to send emails using these smtps on the BT Broadband it
didn't work. Similarly I couldn't get my Newsgroups to work in OE
(previously using the Freeserve news server).

I looked up google groups and found a lot of posts stating that BT
Broadband does not support SMTP. I am confused as to what this really means
as I do not need a BT broadband email address. All I want is to be able to
send my Yahoo and NetIdentity email through Outlook as before.

I have just changed my SMTP to mail.btinternet.com and news server to
news.btopenworld.com which seem to be working ok at the moment - Are these
the best ones to use?

Why is it allowing my Yahoo and NetIdentity email to be sent through the
new SMTP but not their old ones, since neither of them really relate to BT
Broadband?

Will my email work in exactly the same way as it did before when I had the
original SMTP settings? And is this just a temporary solution as I will
have to keep paying for this contract for a minimum of one year.

Are there any other solutions to this where I do not have to sign up to an
additional paying service?

I know it was really my fault for not looking into this before signing up
to BT but I just assumed it worked the same way as my previous Freeserve
Anytime account. Is it possible to cancel my BT Broadband contract and go
with another provider - and who else can offer what I require?

I'd be grateful for advice on any of the above. I have been looking forward
to getting broadband in my area for months, and now that I have it I am
really disappointed, as email is a major part of my computer requirements.
Thank you.

Old February 27th 04, 10:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
RB news

"FJDx" wrote in message
[...]

I had exactly the same problem. I signed up to BT Broadband on my second
line at home for use when working here, then found that I could use neither
my work e-mail or my Freeserve e-mail accounts. I was able to suss out the
same work-around as you have done but have also heard of this being pulled
by BT, who will try to sell you their full BTYahoo service which includes
e-mail address etc - not much use to me for using my business e-mail
address. I complained bitterly to BT that they had not made this situation
clear before signing me up, it was only stated in the installation
instructions received with the kit. Since this became obvious within the 14
day initial period, I took the option to cancel. I have now added a
wireless router to my Freeserve Broadband line and use this with my laptop
throughout the house and garden. I have had Freeserve broadband for over 2
years now and only ever lost service once, in the early days, at which time
they answered the phone promptly when I called, confirmed the problem was at
their end and that they were working on it, apologising profusely. It was
up again within the hour and (touch wood) has never since caused me
problems. My idea for getting BT on the other line was to have my eggs in
two baskets in case of future problems, however I am happy to be solely
reliant on Freeserve and will never use BT again. My second home in
Scotland has its RFS date soon and guess who will get my business there . .
..

Old February 27th 04, 11:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
FJDx

"RB news" wrote in message
[...]

Hi. Thanks for your reply. Were you able to cancel within 14 days without
any problems? Did you have to give a reason for cancelling and would they
accept the reason of 'not not knowing about the email problem'?

Old February 28th 04, 03:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
RB news

Hi. Thanks for your reply. Were you able to cancel within 14 days without
any problems? Did you have to give a reason for cancelling and would they
accept the reason of 'not not knowing about the email problem'?

You don't need to give any reason. You should have received a booklet
entitled
WELCOME TO BT BROADBAND - YOUR COMPLETE GUIDE TO GETTING STARTED

Inside the back cover on page 11, opposite the holder for the CD, are
printed

"CONDITIONS OF USE

The following are key Conditions of Use for the BT Broadband service.

Your contract for this service will begin on the date that BT activates the
service at the exchange.A minimum term of 12 months applies. Please note
that failure to pay for the service will result in disconnection. If you are
a residential customer, you have 14 days from the date of activation of your
broadband service to cancel BT Broadband. You will be notified of the date
of activation. If you have also purchased the ADSL modem and microfilters
kit from BT, you have the same cancellation rights.

...."
This booklet also contained the first hint that I might not be able to use
my existing e-mail services - on page 9 it says:

" ... ISP e-mail
E-mail accounts from some Internet Service Providers (ISPs) may be affected.
You may still be able to read your e-mail but because you're no longer
connected via your ISP you probably won't be able to send it.
..."

When I called BT to query this, they started wittering on about static
versus (non-static but they called it something else) addresses as an
explanation of why this was the case. When I asked why there was no
reference to this on their pre-sales blurb anywhere on the web, they
couldn't give me an answer. I then tried to get their complaints department
and was kept hanging on for ages. After calling back three times and
holding for a total of more than an hour, I called OffCom or whatever
they're now called. They initially responded that the proper procedure was
to complain to BT first, however when I explained that one of my complaints
was that I couldn't get hold of anyone at BT Complaints in order to do so,
and having a business to run I couldn't afford to spend the whole day
hanging on the phone listening to music, they agreed that this was
unsatisfactory and connected me straight through to a BT elevated complaints
dept. They confirmed that the BT Broadband service I had signed up to
wouldn't do what I wanted and I therefore advised that I wished to cancel.
She told me that a new BT Yahoo service was going to be launched in a week's
time and offered to call me in a week to give me full details in case I
would like to sign up for that. I never received the call.

Meanwhile, as I mentioned before, I installed a wireless router to allow me
to use my laptop in parallel with my daughter's desktop, on my existing
Freeserve broadband connection, which has always happily allowed me to send
my business e-mails as well as my numerous free Freeserve No-Ties e-mail
accounts, orange.net accounts, etc with no trouble at all.

I note on this group that there are frequently generalised, vague references
to Freeserve's allegedly bad service, although so far I haven't actually
seen any specific complaints from anyone. I can only speak as I find, and I
have always found Freeserve to be highly satisfactory and trouble free,
having been on their No Ties dial up service from virtually it's inception,
and then their Broadband service for the last couple of years. I have used
the dial-up service from several European countries and the USA, before the
days of WiFi in hotels, and the only hiccup I had was in the early days when
caller ID didn't operate on international calls, in which case I could
receive but not send e-mails, however Freeserve had made this clear from the
outset as a condition of their NoTies service to avoid abuse.

Hope this helps.

cheers
Roger

Old February 28th 04, 04:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian G

RB news wrote:

...**ISP*e-mail
E-mail accounts from some Internet Service Providers (ISPs) may be
affected. You may still be able to read your e-mail but because you're no
longer connected via your ISP you probably won't be able to send it.
..."

Standard practice with most good ISPs ,SMTP servers should only relay mail
for their customers .It is done to prevent the SMTP server being used for
relaying spam .google for the term open relay and black listing of email
servers.
--
Ian Grindey
Outgoings certified Microsoft free