ADSL line checker

Old February 27th 04, 06:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

Default ADSL line checker

Wondering if you can get ADSL? Have a look at
http://www.solo.pipex.net/availability/

I have done a check on my friends and it seems the above checker
actually checks the line, rather than BTs idiot online checker, which
just looks to see if the exchange is enabled.

Peter
Old February 27th 04, 07:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martyn Dewar

Peter wrote:
Wondering if you can get ADSL? Have a look at
http://www.solo.pipex.net/availability/

I have done a check on my friends and it seems the above checker
actually checks the line, rather than BTs idiot online checker, which
just looks to see if the exchange is enabled.

Peter

As far as I can tell, its using the exact same data as BT's own end-user
checkers, but presenting the data better and giving clearer explanations
as to what options are (in my case "Incompatible Service/Device" because
I already have ADSL ).

hth

Old February 27th 04, 10:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Loft

Peter wrote:

Wondering if you can get ADSL? Have a look at
http://www.solo.pipex.net/availability/

Hey, I *like* that checker. It tells me I can get ADSL right now. BT, on
the other hand say there is a trigger level of 100, which we don't stand
a cat in hell's chance of reaching.

--
Steve Loft, Wanlockhead, Dumfriesshire. 1417ft ASL
http://www.wanlockhead.org.uk/weather/
Old February 27th 04, 10:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Allison

Peter wrote:
Wondering if you can get ADSL? Have a look at
http://www.solo.pipex.net/availability/

I have done a check on my friends and it seems the above checker
actually checks the line, rather than BTs idiot online checker, which
just looks to see if the exchange is enabled.

Well for me, I got less information. There was no indication at all on
what service I could get and it couldn't tell whether I had ISDN or not.
The BT site told me what service speed I might expect (even though it's
wildly inaccurate), and also told me I have ISDN.

Perhaps I'm missing something...
Old February 27th 04, 10:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Gareth wrote:
"Peter" wrote in message
Wondering if you can get ADSL? Have a look at
http://www.solo.pipex.net/availability/

I have done a check on my friends and it seems the above checker
actually checks the line, rather than BTs idiot online checker,
which just looks to see if the exchange is enabled.

I don't think so.

It seems to be using the same information but presenting it in a
less cautious manner. It also can't identify a ISDN, HH or BH line.

As for making comments on "line quality" - that's just ********.

Agreed, lets face it they have to be using either a BT data base or even
accessing BT test equipment so how can the results be better than the BT
site, other than with the presentation of the results & how they 'slant'
them...

Old February 28th 04, 07:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 22:37:12 -0000, "Kráftéé"
wrote:

SNIP

Agreed, lets face it they have to be using either a BT data base or even
accessing BT test equipment so how can the results be better than the BT
site, other than with the presentation of the results & how they 'slant'
them...

No, I don't think it is a database, as when I check my friends around
a small town it shows they are either able to receive a full service,
limited service or no service, depending on the actual distance from
the exchange.
Peter
Old February 28th 04, 10:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth

"Peter" wrote in message
On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 22:37:12 -0000, "Kráftéé"
wrote:

SNIP

Agreed, lets face it they have to be using either a BT data base or even
accessing BT test equipment so how can the results be better than the BT
site, other than with the presentation of the results & how they 'slant'
them...

No, I don't think it is a database, as when I check my friends around
a small town it shows they are either able to receive a full service,
limited service or no service, depending on the actual distance from
the exchange.

But the BT "service" also does the same - it just couches the results in
more cautious (and realistic) language.

Gareth.

Old February 28th 04, 03:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Peter wrote:
On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 22:37:12 -0000, "Kráftéé"
wrote:

SNIP

Agreed, lets face it they have to be using either a BT data base
or even accessing BT test equipment so how can the results be
better than the BT site, other than with the presentation of the
results & how they 'slant' them...

No, I don't think it is a database, as when I check my friends
around a small town it shows they are either able to receive a full
service, limited service or no service, depending on the actual
distance from the exchange.
Peter

Peter, sit down & think for a minute, they are testing BT lines....

How are they going to test BT lines without accessing BT, either via a data
base or a test system....

Now if you know a way of doing such a thing then I'm sure that all telco's &
their customers will want to know how, because it will mean that you can
access the LL without going via the service provider which would lead to all
sorts of connotations

Old February 28th 04, 07:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steven Muster

"Kráftéé" wrote in message ...
Peter wrote:
On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 22:37:12 -0000, "Kráftéé"
wrote:

SNIP

Agreed, lets face it they have to be using either a BT data base
or even accessing BT test equipment so how can the results be
better than the BT site, other than with the presentation of the
results & how they 'slant' them...

I think it must use a database, beacuse I just accessed it for my
phone number and it confirms that I'm in process of getting ADSL
(ordered Wednesday)

Best Regards

Steven Muster

Chigwell, Essex
Old February 29th 04, 12:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Loft

Steven Muster wrote:

I think it must use a database, beacuse I just accessed it for my
phone number and it confirms that I'm in process of getting ADSL
(ordered Wednesday)

Any explanations as to why it says I can get ADSL when BT say I can't?

I've emailed Pipex but no response yet.