What on Earth is a "Ping of Death"?

Old February 27th 04, 07:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul King

Default What on Earth is a "Ping of Death"?

Saw this in the log of my router last night:-
Feb/27/2004 00:55:34
Ping of Death Detect src:80.136.246.16:33054 dst:81.178.xxx.xxx:6699 Packet
Dropped

What is a Ping of Death and, more to the point, how is it created?

--

Replace the dots and remove nospam for valid email address

Old February 27th 04, 08:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
freeda

Saw this in the log of my router last night:-
Feb/27/2004 00:55:34
Ping of Death Detect src:80.136.246.16:33054 dst:81.178.xxx.xxx:6699

Packet
Dropped

What is a Ping of Death and, more to the point, how is it created?

AFAIK it is pinging a machine with a very large packet/s of data, causing a
buffer over-run in vunerable machines. I'm sure someone else can elaborate
on this.

Old February 27th 04, 08:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Josey

"Paul King" wrote in message

What is a Ping of Death and, more to the point, how is it created?

It's a well know Denial Of Service attack - google will have lots on it,
just search for "ping of death". There is a small chance the router has it
wrong and its some strange mal-formed packet.

Jc.

Old February 27th 04, 08:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
vic

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 07:53:12 -0000, "Paul King"
wrote:

Saw this in the log of my router last night:-
Feb/27/2004 00:55:34
Ping of Death Detect src:80.136.246.16:33054 dst:81.178.xxx.xxx:6699 Packet
Dropped

What is a Ping of Death and, more to the point, how is it created?

Don't they have Google down your way or something?

Vic.

Old February 27th 04, 08:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Smith

being nasty to people is a prerequisite of being on here, it seems

why do it hey?

Old February 27th 04, 09:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul King

Thanks for all the helpful (and not so helpful) replies.
I hadn't thought to google for it - I assumed that asking here might help
others who have seen similar.

Usenet's such a nice thing - pity some people have to spoil the experience

Old February 27th 04, 11:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
vic

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 09:55:06 -0000, "Paul King"
wrote:

Thanks for all the helpful (and not so helpful) replies.
I hadn't thought to google for it - I assumed that asking here might help
others who have seen similar.

Usenet's such a nice thing - pity some people have to spoil the experience

Paul: What your were asking was a simple, well defined and
purely factual query.

I'd *heard* of the infamous Ping Of Death, but that's about all.

After reading your post, I chucked "ping of death" at Google
and got more pertinent results than you can shake a stick at.
That's what Google and other search engines are good at:
Simple and well defined.

Where the NG's come into their own is in the realm of the
complex and ill-defined, where the human readers can apply
their experience and knowledge in non-linear ways. For
example, if you type...

"I'm using a D-Link DSL-200 usb ADSL modem with a
Pipex xtreme connection and it keeps dropping out
every few minutes"

....into Google you might get lucky and have it find a similar
query on some board or other, but Idoubt if you'd get any
meaningful or helpful results. (might be better if you searched
Google Groups?).

OTOH, post something simliar to this group and people will
break their legs in their haste to clue you in.

I was a bit baffled as to why you hadn't gone the Google route
- it couldn't be laziness, as it takes more time to type an NG
posting than it does to use Google or similar.

Anyway, sorry for being tetchy. Let's kiss and make up,
or if you prefer, perform a firm and masculine
handshake.

Best,

Vic.

Old February 27th 04, 11:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul King

"vic" wrote in message

Anyway, sorry for being tetchy. Let's kiss and make up,
or if you prefer, perform a firm and masculine
handshake.

No, I don't know why I didn't google for it either, could have been early
morning brane fade!
That's more like it.... firm and masculine handshake accepted
FX.. shake/shake
--

Replace the dots and remove nospam for valid email address

Old February 27th 04, 11:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
vic

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 11:09:28 -0000, "Paul King"
wrote:

"vic" wrote in message
.. .

Anyway, sorry for being tetchy. Let's kiss and make up,
or if you prefer, perform a firm and masculine
handshake.

No, I don't know why I didn't google for it either, could have been early
morning brane fade!
That's more like it.... firm and masculine handshake accepted
FX.. shake/shake

Guessing from your un-munged email addy, you work at Marconi, no?

Which site? I work with some ex-Marconi dudes. You may know them...

Vic.

Old February 27th 04, 11:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul King

"vic" wrote in message

Guessing from your un-munged email addy, you work at Marconi, no?

Which site? I work with some ex-Marconi dudes. You may know them...

I'll take that off-group if you e-mail me

--

Replace the dots and remove nospam for valid email address