PlusNet not Quite as cheap as I thought!

Old February 27th 04, 02:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rick

Default PlusNet not Quite as cheap as I thought!

Been looking at PlusNet, from all accounts the service seems to be top
notch.

However the ad is a little misleading as the Standard starter charge
is £31.50 and only after the first 12 months does it drop to £21.99

Have I got this right?

The B.B. service is not for me, Im trying to help a someone out and
thought this newsgroup would be the best way, (Im going round in
circles it seems)!.

Is Freeserve or Tiscali any good?

Thanks.

Rick.
Old February 27th 04, 02:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Jenkins

On 27 Feb 2004 06:38:57 -0800, (Rick) wrote:

Been looking at PlusNet, from all accounts the service seems to be top
notch.

However the ad is a little misleading as the Standard starter charge
is £31.50 and only after the first 12 months does it drop to £21.99

Have I got this right?

The B.B. service is not for me, Im trying to help a someone out and
thought this newsgroup would be the best way, (Im going round in
circles it seems)!.

The packages break down like this ...

1 Month £21.99 £44.99 £70.50

Thats a rolling monthly contract, cosing £21.99 a month from day 1. A
modem for this package would cost you £44.99. Setup (a on off fee)
will cost you £70.50

Now we're into the 12 month contracts.

12 Month £21.99 £44.99 £58.75

A 12 month contract, costing £21.99 a month from day 1. Modem again
costs £44.99, but activation has been reduced to £58.75 (as your
agreeing to stay with Plusnet for 12 months).

12 month £31.50* Included Included

Another 12 month contract, but this time £31.50 from day 1. However,
both the modem and activation are free - so all you'll pay is £31.50
each month for ever (well - as long as you want the following 12
months anyway).

Is Freeserve or Tiscali any good?

IMHO ? Not really. Plusnet are pretty highly rated. As are Nildram
mind.
--
Andy Jenkins
http://www.uk-bug.net : The UK Broadband Usergroup.
Old February 27th 04, 04:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Freeserve and Tiscali seem to receive nothing but complaints and for genuine
i.e. 512K or above are more expensive. The basic PLUS package is £18.99 per
month. First class value and service. Take a look at their site and see just
how detailed and open their service stats etc are.

Old February 27th 04, 06:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
I_N

Plusnet have a range of prices

There are setup costs (vary depending on which contract you choose)
Then costs for equipment (modem and filters) (or buy elsewhere)
Then monthly charge

One thing they do offer that not many do (some others) is a monthly contract
if u want it
rather than 12 month tie-in

£31.50 is for ??? - couldn't find this?
There is:
EasyStart at £24.99 per month and *includes* activation and modem - 512K
line

They do 512K version for £18.99 (doesn't have P2P and binary newsgroups)
or 512k with everything for £21.99 (what I have signed up for)

Then you pick activation charges (more for 1 month contract than 12 month
one)
and equipment (or buy this elsewhere - depends what you want - PlusNet don't
provide wireless routers which is waht I needed)

If you did sign up for PlusNet and felt friendly - please enter my referral
id "neltek" on the sign up pages - may save me a few pence

My understanding is Freeserve and Tiscali (moreso) are bad for customer
support
and PlusNet offer more features for less money and good service

If you want premium service I understand Andrews & Arnold are very good but
cost more.

Ian (neltek)

m...

Old February 28th 04, 08:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rick

"I_N" wrote in message ...
Also looking at it the Easystart contains spam and antivirus filtering on
email too!

Ian
(PlusNet referral "neltek")

"Josh Berry" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

However the ad is a little misleading as the Standard starter charge
is £31.50 and only after the first 12 months does it drop to £21.99

This is if you choose not to pay the activation fee upfront.
Alternatively you can pay for activation up front - either £58.75
(annual contract) or £70.50 (mothly contract)

The B.B. service is not for me, Im trying to help a someone out and
thought this newsgroup would be the best way, (Im going round in
circles it seems)!.

If you are unsure where to start then the best package is the easystart
at £24.99 - which has included activation fee and contains everything
you need to get online (a USB modem and 2 filters).

Regards,

Thanks to all for your comments and help. Some of the deals on the
PlusNet WEB site are a bit misleading (or is it just me).

However I phoned PlusNet up to try and clear things up and found the
guy on the other end of the phone most unsympathetic, just kept on
telling me to refer back to the WEB site as if he didn't want to know,
bit like a robotic answering machine.

Anyway thanks for that last vote of confidence Josh. I decided to
phone PlusNet back and found the guy very helpful this time.

Think I will go for it.

Cheer's

Rick,
Old February 29th 04, 04:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
·.¸¸.·´¯`Wango´¯`·.¸¸.·

"Rick" wrote in message
m...
-snip-
However I phoned PlusNet up to try and clear things up and found the
guy on the other end of the phone most unsympathetic, just kept on
telling me to refer back to the WEB site as if he didn't want to know,
bit like a robotic answering machine.

That's what you get when you target your staff to refer customers to the
website for non essential queries.

Anyway thanks for that last vote of confidence Josh. I decided to
phone PlusNet back and found the guy very helpful this time.

Josh is a star - wasted at Plusnet IMHO.

Wango