Tiscali CBUK number?!?

Old February 27th 04, 04:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
&code=

Default Tiscali CBUK number?!?

Is this true?

-----

Dear Mr. XXXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting Tiscali Customer Support.

I regret informing you that we are not authorized to give CBUK numbers.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us using
the following URL: http://www.tiscali.co.uk/aboutus/contact/

Regards,
Michael Owwen
Tiscali Customer Support

This email and its attachments are confidential and intended for the
exclusive use of the addressee(s). This email and its attachments may also
be privileged or protected by legal rules. If you have received this by
mistake please let us know by reply immediately and destroy the email and
its attachments without reading, copying or forwarding the contents.

--
*.. )) -::-
. .))

Old February 27th 04, 04:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hiram Hackenbacker

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 16:01:42 +0000 (UTC), "&code="
wrote:

Is this true?

One of our ISP's (AAISP) provides details of the CBUK for each circuit
on the monitoring pages they provide as part of their service. I
can't see how the CBUK itself is confidential to BT/ISP only.

However your ISP may have their own reasons for not passing it on. On
the one hand I can't see why they would need to withhold it - but on
the other why would you need it?

--
Hiram Hackenbacker
Old February 27th 04, 04:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Jenkins

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 16:01:42 +0000 (UTC), "&code="
wrote:

Is this true?

-----

Dear Mr. XXXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting Tiscali Customer Support.

I regret informing you that we are not authorized to give CBUK numbers.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us using
the following URL: http://www.tiscali.co.uk/aboutus/contact/

Regards,
Michael Owwen
Tiscali Customer Support

Certainly not. Your CBUK can be (and should be!) forwarded to you
upon request to your current broadband ISP.

Give Tiscali another chance to do the right thing.
--
Andy Jenkins
UK Broadband Usergroup : http://www.uk-bug.net
Old February 27th 04, 04:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"&code=" wrote in message
Is this true?

-----

Dear Mr. XXXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting Tiscali Customer Support.

I regret informing you that we are not authorized to give CBUK numbers.

It could be.

It depends on who has "not authorized" them to release it.

BT Wholesale don't care - so it sounds like an internal Tiscali policy..

In fact, if you google this group (subject line: Broadband ombudsman, posted
06 February 2004) you will find someone who got their CBUK number from
Tiscali but only after spending a considerable amount of time "debating" it
with them.

However, a word of warning.

You may not be able to use the CBUK number to migrate to a different ISP, if
that is your intention

If you are on one of the exchanges that Tiscali have "DataStreamed" (i.e.
they provide the 115K service on the exchange) - then they are likely to
have provided any 512K/1MB/2MB's services the same way on that exchnage, as
its cheaper for them to do so (throttliing down the connection etc)

What speed does Windows your modem/router show it is connecting at - if it
shows 2.2Mbs then you have a 2MB line that is being throttled down.
9assuming you haven't got a 2MB service!)

If it shows a 576K line then you could have either a "BT Home IPStream 500"
which most ISP's use or the DataStream equivalent.

If you have the DataStream version you can't migrate...

If it shows 576K and you are unsure if its IPStream/DataStream call BT on
150 and ask them what services are on your line. They should be able to tell
you - however, they won't be able to help with any migration questions.

Regards
Sunil

Old February 27th 04, 05:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Andy Jenkins" wrote in message
However your ISP may have their own reasons for not passing it on. On
the one hand I can't see why they would need to withhold it - but on
the other why would you need it?

Migration to another ISP might be one reason (the only?) why the OP
want the number.

Even if the new ISP (or customer) has the CBUK number, the original ISP can
turn down their migration request.

Regards
Sunil

Old February 27th 04, 07:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
King Queen

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 17:18:03 -0000, "Sunil Sood"
wrote:

Even if the new ISP (or customer) has the CBUK number, the original ISP can
turn down their migration request.

So it is possible, once you have broadband enabled on your line, for
the initial ISP to refuse to let you move on - and effectively force
you to use their service?
Old February 27th 04, 07:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

wrote:

Even if the new ISP (or customer) has the CBUK number, the original ISP

can
turn down their migration request.

So it is possible, once you have broadband enabled on your line, for
the initial ISP to refuse to let you move on - and effectively force
you to use their service?

An ISP can stop you migrating for any reason. (+ its not actually necessary
for them to support migration at all)

You can however, always stop your service from your current ISP and then
reapply with your new ISP for ADSL, though this does mean more downtime.

Regards
Sunil

Old February 28th 04, 10:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
>{daZza}

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

"&code=" wrote in message
Is this true?

-----

[...]

I would hazard you have 2mb datastream, Tiscali's favorite method of
install, throttled down to 500. I was that man in question who managed to
get his magic cbuk number from tiscali, i rang the business help line which
for once is based in the uk, and they gave me all the info i needed, it is
actually under the data protection act for them to withhold your CBUK number
keep plugging and you will get it, but as i found out, migration isnt
possible because of the 2mb datastream line. I have arranged cancellation
and i am moving over to Plusnet on 10th march, cant bloody wait, should have
dumped Piscali ages ago..............

To make a complaint-all products TISCALI

Phone: 0870 7446740

Post to:Tiscali Customer Service

PO Box 7206,

Milton Keynes,

MK14 6XG

--
daZza.............

remove knickers to reply ;-)

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old February 28th 04, 10:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hiram Hackenbacker

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 10:39:09 -0000, "{daZza}"
wrote:

it is
actually under the data protection act for them to withhold your CBUK number

I wonder which part of the Act they are relying upon?

keep plugging and you will get it,

In which case they have broken the law by their own reasoning?

--
Hiram Hackenbacker