Broadband ISP which includes free SMTP email???

Old February 27th 04, 07:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete J

Default Broadband ISP which includes free SMTP email???

Am looking to sign up to Broadband but I'm a bit confused.
When checking different isps and their services I can't find
any mention of full traditional email services included.
Some say pop3 and webmail but not smtp.
In fact when checking out the BT broadband deal there
are no 'extras' whatsoever, not even an email address
One thing I've been used to over the last 5 years is to have
a set of email addresses with my isp that I can send and
receive via Outlook express!!
It doesn't seem a lot to ask.

Am I getting this wrong or is this a problem with broadband?
Is there anywhere to check all the isps and what extras are
or aren't included or even available?
What do you all do for your email set up?

As I am going to be paying double what I've been used to
for BB I am very reluctant to shell out more money for
basic services that have always been included.
Generally very confused with who to go with, what
modem I should have etc etc etc

Needing help!
Pete

Old February 27th 04, 07:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Pete J" wrote in message
Am looking to sign up to Broadband but I'm a bit confused.
When checking different isps and their services I can't find
any mention of full traditional email services included.
Some say pop3 and webmail but not smtp.

If an ISP offers POP3, they will offer SMTP (well I haven't come across any
exceptions yet!)

In fact when checking out the BT broadband deal there
are no 'extras' whatsoever, not even an email address
One thing I've been used to over the last 5 years is to have
a set of email addresses with my isp that I can send and
receive via Outlook express!!

BT Broadband is unusual among ADSL ISP's for not including an email address,
though they let you obtain one from one of their partners as an add on
(including free from BT Openworld)

Bulldog also don't include an email address, unless you buy it as an add-on
but offer an SMTP server so you can send outgoing email.

What do you all do for your email set up?

Many?Most people use their ISP's email service, some use a 3rd party to
provide their email( i.e. Hotmail/yahoo) and others get their own domain and
use that instead

Regards
Sunil

Old February 27th 04, 08:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Pete J wrote:
Am looking to sign up to Broadband but I'm a bit confused.
When checking different isps and their services I can't find
any mention of full traditional email services included.
Some say pop3 and webmail but not smtp.
In fact when checking out the BT broadband deal there
are no 'extras' whatsoever, not even an email address
One thing I've been used to over the last 5 years is to have
a set of email addresses with my isp that I can send and
receive via Outlook express!!

Plusnet support SMTP mail downloads, as well as unlimited email
addresses. (well, some 40^1000, which should be adequate.)

They also have lots of additional services, and are upgrading the
newsserver in March.

I think they also work out cheaper than BT.
I'd appreciate it if you entered "mauve" into the referrer box.

Old February 27th 04, 08:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Olly

If you also want web hosting, it may be worth paying for a hosting / mail
package, and buying a domain. Makes email MUCH easier to filter to avoid
viruses / spam etc.

I have a couple of hosting packages, but www.hostlogical.com are cheap and
offer SMTP, for domain names
http://www.123-reg.co.uk/affiliate.cgi?id=AF64284 (shameless affiliate
link!) are cheap as it gets.

--
Olly

Old February 28th 04, 12:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

If you also want web hosting, it may be worth paying for a hosting / mail
package, and buying a domain. Makes email MUCH easier to filter to avoid
viruses / spam etc.

I have a domain with 123-reg which forwards email to another account, but
i`m interested to know how I could filter the spam more effectively.

I currently use mailwasher in the last six days i`ve received 2796
emails, of which 2571 were caught by my filters / blacklist / RBL, and
132 were flagged as genuine. Much of the remainder were one-off
impossible to filter spam mails from unique compromised IP addresses with
no other identifying "filterable" material, or from mailing lists I
haven`t bothered to add to the friends list.

I currently have 38 lines of spam filters configured under "logical"
group names, like "spamming isp block x" (ranges from 1-7) and general
spam filters (ranges from 1-10), and I think it would be fair to say
these are pretty damn efficient at filtering the crap so far :-}

I`ve seen the arguments for bayesian filters, which are great apart from
the fact the mail would have to be downloaded to my machine, which, if it
contained a virus, I would prefer never to have it get as far as residing
on my HD.

Old February 28th 04, 03:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
I_N

Olly

I'm interested in why having domain email makes it much easier to filter to
avoid viruses / spam etc.

Any info gratefully received

Ian

Old February 28th 04, 11:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rupert

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

[snip]
If an ISP offers POP3, they will offer SMTP (well I haven't come across

any
exceptions yet!)

Maybe SMTP for sending mail, but not all provide an SMTP feed for incoming
mail....

Old February 28th 04, 11:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Olly

With your own domain, you have an unlimited range of email addresses - look
at my address on here, for example. So if you are giving out your email
address, you can use a unique address (e.g. ) This
allows you to identify precisely where spammers have obtained your email
address, and it also allows you to 'turn off' one particular address that is
receiving spam, without affecting your main, or other email addresses.

You can apply filters at the server level to deal with unwanted mail before
it reaches your own PC. Some hosts also run anti-spam / anti-virus software
on the server.

--
Olly

Old February 28th 04, 01:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Rupert" wrote in message
. ..
"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

[snip]
If an ISP offers POP3, they will offer SMTP (well I haven't come across

any
exceptions yet!)

Maybe SMTP for sending mail, but not all provide an SMTP feed for incoming
mail....

Is incoming main SMTP?

I thought it was either POP3 or (sometimes) IMAP..

Regards
Sunil