Telewest + MSI Residential Gateway

Old February 28th 04, 09:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kevin

Default Telewest + MSI Residential Gateway

Anyone have an MSI residential gateway working with Telewest ?

I have an MSI Wireless Residential Gateway (Model RG54GS) which has a
WAN port, four LAN ports, and a wireless access point.

I connect the cable modem by ethernet cable from the modem to the WAN
port, and another ethernet cable from one of the LAN ports to the
Ethernet card in my desktop PC.

I have registered the MAC addresses of the cable modem, the LAN card
in the desktop PC, and the gateway with the Telewest Selfcare pages,
and used the configuration utility built into the gateway.

However I can get no internet access at all using this configuration.
If I take the gateway out, reconnect the cable modem directly to the
ethernet card in the PC, and reboot, my internet access comes back.

I also have a BENQ wireless USB stick which I use with a laptop and
the laptop can see the presence of the desktop (but no internet
access), so at least some functions of the gateway are working OK.

Any help will be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Kevin
Old February 28th 04, 10:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

I have registered the MAC addresses of the cable modem, the LAN card
in the desktop PC, and the gateway with the Telewest Selfcare pages,
and used the configuration utility built into the gateway.

How long is it since you registered the MAC address of the gateway ?
(from experience it may take up to 24 hours to work)