Setting up BTOpenworld connection using LAN...

Old February 28th 04, 10:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
-sparky-

Default Setting up BTOpenworld connection using LAN...

I have a question to ask the experts out there...

When I originally obtained a BTOpenworld Broadband account I was
provided with their set-up discs and a Alcatel modem... Although the
Broadband account is in effect, constantly 'on', to connect to it and
utilise it I have to 'dial-in' so to speak... The PC dials the number
and I am connected to broadband...

Thing is... I want to set up a network at home, and to that end have
obtained an alternative modem and router and now wish to connect to
BTOpenworld using a LAN connection...

But how on earth do I set it up? Its all wired up and working, and the
PC tells me that the LAN connection is operational and working and
that it is connected at such and such a spedd... But how do I actually
dial into it with my name and password in order to be able to utilise
it??

Help! TIA...
Old February 29th 04, 09:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PJB

"-sparky-" wrote in message
m...
[...]

You don't. Although it's a DUN connection, it never dials.
The modem "syncs" with the exchange equipment, then "logs
in" with an authentication server, using your login details
and away you go. With a modem/router, that connection is on
all the time. Follow the instructions given with with the
modem, that's all you should need. A good source of info is
www.practicallynetworked.com
Have fun ;-)

P.

Old February 29th 04, 09:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mr_K

"-sparky-" wrote in message
m...
[...]

If you want to connect using a network connection, have a read here.
http://www.it-reality.co.uk/Reviews/...curityRisk.htm

Old February 29th 04, 09:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mr_K

Sorry this is the link I did mean

http://www.it-reality.co.uk/Reviews/...04-Review1.htm

Old February 29th 04, 04:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chuckles The Scary Clown

"-sparky-" wrote in message
m...
I have a question to ask the experts out there...

When I originally obtained a BTOpenworld Broadband account I was
provided with their set-up discs and a Alcatel modem... Although the
Broadband account is in effect, constantly 'on',

snip

During my sorry year with BTO, the service was anything but "constantly on".

******s the lot of 'em.

Oops, sorry Tim.