Importance of telephone extension cable for 1mb broadband?

Old February 29th 04, 09:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tHatDudeUK

Default Importance of telephone extension cable for 1mb broadband?

A while ago I got a cheap telephone extension cable from argos and recently
changed to 1mb. I have found that I occasionally get disconnected every so
often (fast 24) but not sure if this is due to my extension cable or the
service. It happens around about the same time, 12am-4am or so and
sometimes up to twice a day.

I have now ordered a origo 8400 router to replace my alcatel frog. Would
getting a better quality extension cable help? What about putting the router
directly into the main socket and using an ethernet cable instead?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

tHatDudeUK

Old February 29th 04, 09:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tHatDudeUK

"tHatDudeUK" wrote in message
A while ago I got a cheap telephone extension cable from argos and

recently
changed to 1mb. I have found that I occasionally get disconnected every so
often (fast 24) but not sure if this is due to my extension cable or the
service. It happens around about the same time, 12am-4am or so and
sometimes up to twice a day.

I have now ordered a origo 8400 router to replace my alcatel frog. Would
getting a better quality extension cable help? What about putting the

router
directly into the main socket and using an ethernet cable instead?

Oh yes, and is an RJ11 cable the one that goes between the modem and filter?

Old February 29th 04, 09:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tHatDudeUK

"tHatDudeUK" wrote in message

Also, is it better to have a long RJ11 cable than a long telephone extension
cable?

Old February 29th 04, 09:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
-halli-

"tHatDudeUK" wrote in message
I have now ordered a origo 8400 router to replace my alcatel frog. Would
getting a better quality extension cable help? What about putting the

router
directly into the main socket and using an ethernet cable instead?

Router into main socket and Cat5 would be perfect if it is suited your
house. You could keep the argos telephone socket for a telephone.

I have Cat 5 as my telephone extension cable. Hardwired into the main socket
and into a socket by the router (as this suits my needs better). I got very
clear and fast connections in the past with 56k on this set up too.

HTH

-halli-

Old February 29th 04, 10:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

tHatDudeUK wrote:
A while ago I got a cheap telephone extension cable from argos and
recently changed to 1mb. I have found that I occasionally get
disconnected every so often (fast 24) but not sure if this is due
to my extension cable or the service. It happens around about the
same time, 12am-4am or so and sometimes up to twice a day.

All I can say is that from the experience I have had in the field cheap kits
should be avoided (had one case where the 13mtre extension doubled the line
loss, another where it added over 10db of loss, another where you couldn't
even get synch etc, etc). It's a case of spoiling it for a minimal saving
(it actually works out more expensive in the end as the cheap extension set
gets binned & replaced with a decent one).

Another word of warning if you go to any of the 'sheds' to buy extension
cable by the length make sure that they supply you etelephone extension
cable & not burglar alarm cable, there is a big difference & it's not just
the price...