usb HUBS & modems?

Old April 1st 04, 09:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry

Default usb HUBS & modems?

After problems with an ethernet modem I'm going for a
usb modem supported by my isp. I know that these drain
power from the PC. As I already need extra usb ports I'm
also getting a usb hub.
I f I get an usb hub with a power supply does this mean that
any usb connectionsfrom the hub will take their power from
the hub and not the pc? Am I getting this wrong?!

Am also a bit confused with the different types of usb.
I think the two ports are high speed - is this 2.0? It
doesn't say in my system specs.
I think the modem is 1.1 usb, is all this compatible?
What type of hub would anyone recommend?
Cheers!

Old April 1st 04, 10:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

You really are going backwards using a USB modem. Is the hub plugged in or a
PCI card? In the former case the power is all drawn from the USB port the
hub is plugged into.
--
gee six jay en

Replace the words with the numbers

Old April 1st 04, 10:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
You really are going backwards using a USB modem. Is the hub plugged in or

PCI card? In the former case the power is all drawn from the USB port the
hub is plugged into.

Didn't you read the post?

1) I know usb modems aren't good. I explained why - it's really a temporary
solution until I get the refund of my ethernet one sorted.

2) My post was asking if usb hubs with power adapters meant that
power was taken from that rather than the pc!
I never mentioned pci cards and my I think my post was pretty clear!

Your reply is a mystery to me.

Old April 1st 04, 12:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

1) I know usb modems aren't good. I explained why - it's really a

temporary
solution until I get the refund of my ethernet one sorted.

There was no mention of it being a temporary solution in your OP

2) My post was asking if usb hubs with power adapters meant that
power was taken from that rather than the pc!

It is axiomatic.

Your posting suggested you were confused and unsure as to the best solution.
I still maintain that the USB route is a bad one. However you seem to be
more interested in getting someone to agree with you than in finding a
solution.

Old April 1st 04, 12:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lurch

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 09:57:48 +0100, in uk.telecom.broadband "Harry"
strung together this:

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
.. .
You really are going backwards using a USB modem. Is the hub plugged in or

PCI card? In the former case the power is all drawn from the USB port the
hub is plugged into.

Didn't you read the post?

1) I know usb modems aren't good. I explained why - it's really a temporary
solution until I get the refund of my ethernet one sorted.

You never mentioned that in the OP.

2) My post was asking if usb hubs with power adapters meant that
power was taken from that rather than the pc!

Theoretically, yes.

I never mentioned pci cards and my I think my post was pretty clear!

Ish.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Old April 1st 04, 12:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message

1) I know usb modems aren't good. I explained why - it's really a

temporary
solution until I get the refund of my ethernet one sorted.

There was no mention of it being a temporary solution in your OP

Did I really need to explain the reasons behind it?
I wrote "I know that these drain power from the PC"

2) My post was asking if usb hubs with power adapters meant that
power was taken from that rather than the pc!

It is axiomatic.

I don't know what that means. Neither does google in relation to usb (???)

Your posting suggested you were confused and unsure as to the best

solution.
I still maintain that the USB route is a bad one. However you seem to be
more interested in getting someone to agree with you than in finding a
solution.

No my post was asking if a mains powered USB hub stopped
the draining from the PC!! And I also asked if the different types of
usb were compatible, neither of which you have helped with!
Again, I really don't understand your replies and I am not looking
for someone to agree with me (???) I'm looking for answers
to my queries!!

Old April 1st 04, 01:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry

"Lurch" wrote in message

1) I know usb modems aren't good. I explained why - it's really a

temporary
solution until I get the refund of my ethernet one sorted.

You never mentioned that in the OP.

Gee whizz. I don't see why it was important.
I made it clear I appreciated it's faults.

2) My post was asking if usb hubs with power adapters meant that
power was taken from that rather than the pc!

Theoretically, yes.

Theoretically?? Why not a yes or a no?
I thought this was a simple query, I'm getting obstruction and games
instead.

Old April 1st 04, 01:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 1 Apr 2004 08:54, "Harry" wrote:

any usb connections from the hub will take their power from
the hub and not the pc?

Correct. Some have a switch to allow the user to choose.

I think the modem is 1.1 usb, is all this compatible?

Yes, v2 can handle higher speed, but should have no prob with
older kit.

What type of hub would anyone recommend?

I bought a Belkin 4-port from Dixons about a year ago at some price
around the 25 pounds mark (similar to mail order by the time delivery
was added). I see Dabs.com has this listed with their Quick Link code
of QXCWS at 15.27 inc VAT. The unit I have came with an A-to-B
cable, but I see Dabs selling these cables separately for 3.99,
so you may want to check with Dabs before placing an order, and/or
pop into Dixons or similar to see if they have something like this
in stock. On the websites, Dixons and PC World have a Belkin 7-
port hub for 29.99, while PC World also has another 7-port (out of
stock on web) for 24.99 and the USB 1.1 4-port model at 14.99 inc
VAT and this states there is a 1.8m cable with the unit. HTH.
Old April 1st 04, 01:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Theoretically, yes.

Theoretically?? Why not a yes or a no?
I thought this was a simple query, I'm getting obstruction and games
instead.

Not obstruction or games at all. Two people have given candid answers but
they don't seem to be the ones you hoped for. If you are not interested in
the answers don't ask. Kill file for you.

Old April 1st 04, 01:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry

"poster" wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

Many, many thanks.
These are the answers to my questions I was hoping for. I did think
that powered usb hubs must have a purpose but as I read about usb
connected peripherals draining pc resources I wasn't sure.
I'll do some checking, may pick one up on eBay for a bit less ;-)

Cheers!