ADSL and home network setup advise please

Old April 1st 04, 10:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Individual.NET

Default ADSL and home network setup advise please

Hi,

I am about to have ADSL installed, and with two PCs in the house would like
them both to share the connection.

Despite reading most of the material recommended here I am still somewhat
unsure of the best way to go about it and would appreciate any advice.

One PC has wireless access card installed already, and as both PCs may not
be in the same room, I would prefer to have them connected wirelessly. My
plan is to buy an ADSL router with wireless (802.11g) modem ("in one box").
I intend to connect the modem to the PC without the wireless access (PC1),
and them connect the other (PC2) wirelessly to it.
My questions a

1. Does the plan make sense?
2. Would there be a drop in the speed of connection (bandwidth) for PC2
which is in fact my "main" PC? PC1 hardly needs to be online, but I just
thought that using my proposed setup will save me having to buy another
wireless access point.

For the hardware I was thinking about either

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/s...tml?BEL-F5D763

or

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/s...tml?3M-3CRWE75

and will probably buy it from them as well. I know I can probably save a few
pounds going elsewhere, but I have made a decision never again to touch
etailers who do not provide a contact phone number. Any comments on those or
perhaps suggestions of others will also be most appreciated.

Cheers,

J.

Old April 1st 04, 12:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Individual.NET" wrote in message
1. Does the plan make sense?

Yes.

2. Would there be a drop in the speed of connection (bandwidth) for PC2
which is in fact my "main" PC?

No.

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/s...tml?BEL-F5D763

or

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/s...tml?3M-3CRWE75

and will probably buy it from them as well. I know I can probably save a

few
pounds going elsewhere, but I have made a decision never again to touch
etailers who do not provide a contact phone number. Any comments on those

or
perhaps suggestions of others will also be most appreciated.

Well it depends on your defination of a few pounds..

The Belkin is 102.19 from ebuyer.com instead of 123.38 @ Novatech, while
Amazon have it for 115

From your description, the wireless card needs to be in PC2 - its also worth
checking if it is a 54G card - though even the 802.11b cards are more than
fast enough if the network is meant for net access...

Regards
Sunil

Old April 1st 04, 12:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
King Queen

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 10:54:30 +0100, "Individual.NET"
wrote:

1. Does the plan make sense?

Yes

2. Would there be a drop in the speed of connection (bandwidth) for PC2
which is in fact my "main" PC? PC1 hardly needs to be online, but I just
thought that using my proposed setup will save me having to buy another
wireless access point.

You won't need PC1 on at all. The wireless link to PC2 shouldn't
affect the Internet speed - the wireless link is generally a lot
faster than the ADSL speed anyway (11Mbps wireless or faster, whereas
your standard broadband is 0.5Mbps).

--
To email me remove ".lartsspammers"
http://www.kingqueen.org.uk
Old April 1st 04, 12:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Individual.NET

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

[...]

From your description, the wireless card needs to be in PC2 - its also

worth
checking if it is a 54G card - though even the 802.11b cards are more than
fast enough if the network is meant for net access...

Regards
Sunil

Many thanks for the speedy reply.

Amazon are definitely a very good option, especially when taking into
account their free P&P, as this was the main reason I intended to go with
Novatech (other items to order from them).

.... and yes, the card is a 54G.

Thanks again.

J.

Old April 1st 04, 01:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alien Zord

"Individual.NET" wrote in message

For the hardware I was thinking about either

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/s...tml?BEL-F5D763

or

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/s...tml?3M-3CRWE75

I would recommend the 3Com bundle deal from Simply, code 46023, or ebuyer,
code 59013, as this includes the all in one ADSL router 754G as well as 54G
PCMCIA card for 104 inc. VAT !!!
As the PC card is 41 at the same places it makes the router just 63 inc.
Half the price of Novatech!!!

The 3Com includes WPA encryption as well as a decent firewall.

Old April 1st 04, 02:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Individual.NET

"Alien Zord" wrote in message
"Individual.NET" wrote in message

For the hardware I was thinking about either

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/s...tml?BEL-F5D763

or

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/s...tml?3M-3CRWE75

I would recommend the 3Com bundle deal from Simply, code 46023, or ebuyer,
code 59013, as this includes the all in one ADSL router 754G as well as

54G
PCMCIA card for 104 inc. VAT !!!
As the PC card is 41 at the same places it makes the router just 63 inc.
Half the price of Novatech!!!

The 3Com includes WPA encryption as well as a decent firewall.

i Agree - It does look like a very decent offer.

However I have 2 desktops, so the PCMCIA card is of no use to me. I could of
course flog it on ebay though...

Old April 1st 04, 04:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Pearce

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 14:14:02 +0100, "Individual.NET"
wrote:

i Agree - It does look like a very decent offer.

However I have 2 desktops, so the PCMCIA card is of no use to me. I could of
course flog it on ebay though...

You can get adapters that allow PCMCIA wireless cards to be used in
desktop systems, but it probably isn't the best option.
Old April 3rd 04, 08:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Individual.NET

"Zapp Brannigan" wrote in message
Individual.NET wrote:

[...]

I have the same setup (but different kit), and it works fine...

I would avoid the Belkin, it's ****. I don't know anything about the
3Com unit, but they have generally a good reputation, so I would think
it will be fine... Personally, I went for Draytek, as their products
have top notch ratings, but are slightly more expensive, but you get
some nice goodies like VPN and such...

You have just made my day (NOT!) as I orderred the Belking from Amazon last
night...

Would you care to elaborate why you think that it is s**te?

Old April 9th 04, 12:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Individual.NET" wrote in message
You have just made my day (NOT!) as I orderred the Belking from Amazon

last
night...

I presume you have it by now.. can you tell us how you found the Belkin ?

Regards
Sunil