Using newsgroups

Old April 1st 04, 12:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
XpUser

Default Using newsgroups

I have a friend who is with ISP X, he never uses the newsgroups that his ISP
provides. I am currently with ISP Y whos newsgroup server is hardly ever
up. Is it possible for me to use ISP X's newsgroups server. My friend has
given me his username, password and says its ok for me to use them.

Can any of you see a problem with this arrangement?

Old April 1st 04, 01:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Slugsie

"XpUser" wrote in message
I have a friend who is with ISP X, he never uses the newsgroups that his

ISP
provides. I am currently with ISP Y whos newsgroup server is hardly ever
up. Is it possible for me to use ISP X's newsgroups server. My friend

has
given me his username, password and says its ok for me to use them.

Can any of you see a problem with this arrangement?

Yes, it almost certainly won't work. Most ISPs filter access to their news
servers by checking your IP address. If it isn't one of theirs, you won't
get in no matter what username/password you try. Also, your friend could
loose his account if his ISP find out that he has given his
username/password to someone else.

If you just want reliable text groups use news.individual.net. You need to
register at their site first, but it's free, very reliable, and about as
good as text newsgroups go (especially for the price).

--
/Slugsie

Old April 1st 04, 02:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
XpUser

After careful thought and consideration Slugsie typed:
"XpUser" wrote in message
I have a friend who is with ISP X, he never uses the newsgroups that
his ISP provides. I am currently with ISP Y whos newsgroup server
is hardly ever up. Is it possible for me to use ISP X's newsgroups
server. My friend has given me his username, password and says its
ok for me to use them.

Can any of you see a problem with this arrangement?

Yes, it almost certainly won't work. Most ISPs filter access to their
news servers by checking your IP address. If it isn't one of theirs,
you won't get in no matter what username/password you try. Also, your
friend could loose his account if his ISP find out that he has given
his username/password to someone else.

If you just want reliable text groups use news.individual.net. You
need to register at their site first, but it's free, very reliable,
and about as good as text newsgroups go (especially for the price).

Ok, thanks for that. I will give the idea a miss. I only use newsgroups on
occassions, it just seems when ever l try to use them, NTLs newsgroup server
is down!

Do you know of any good, cheap/free binary newsgroup servers?

Old April 1st 04, 08:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 1 Apr 2004 13:56, "XpUser" wrote:

Do you know of any good, cheap/free binary newsgroup servers?

In the world of binary news services, "good" and either "cheap"
or "free" rarely seem to go together. There is a newsgroup all
about such services: alt.binaries.news-server-comparison

You need to know how many GB of data a month you're likely to d/l
when you go looking, or try something with a low cost and see if
it meets your needs. Depending on other features, you could do
worse than try the Claranet webhost account (it gives you news
[max 10 GB of d/l a month], they register a domain, and give you
hosting for it, OK - bottom end of the clarahost range, and the
bottom end in data of the claranews range, but only 30 quid/year!)

See http://www.uk.clara.net/btbroadband/ (it was aimed at those
on the no frills BT Broadband "connection only" account, hence URL)
Old April 2nd 04, 11:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Slugsie

"XpUser" wrote in message

Ok, thanks for that. I will give the idea a miss. I only use newsgroups
on
occassions, it just seems when ever l try to use them, NTLs newsgroup
server
is down!

Do you know of any good, cheap/free binary newsgroup servers?

There are virtually no free binary news servers. About the best that I know
of is BigGulp, but that isn't too fast, and can be a nightmare to connect
to.

For binaries, I subscribe to Giganews. Their service is excellent, 99%+
completion with retention running back to around 40days. They have a limited
trial service so you can give them a spin. If you do sign up with them,
would you mind using my referral link so I get a little bonus?

http://www.giganews.com/customer/gn46201

--
/Slugsie

Old April 3rd 04, 09:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Redman

"Slugsie" wrote in message
"XpUser" wrote in message
[...]

It will work, when I moved house too a non broadband area I gave my brother
use of my Clara account to download binaries etc for over 6 months. I
suppose though it will depend on your provider and whether they check any of
your details.

Redman